Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Can we see NTFS Descriptions in Explorer?

Jun
The Help says:

NTFS Descriptions : If set, TCC uses the Comments field in the NTFS SummaryInformation stream for each file to hold its description,

Does this mean we should be able to see the description in Explorer? I can see the description if I do "dir /z", but I don't see it in Explorer in the Comments field.

TCC 31.00.11 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19045.3570]

They're different mechanisms. In Explorer, " Properties" digs the information out of a version information resource which actually compiled and built into the file itself (typically a DLL or EXE).

NTFSDescriptions uses NTFS alternate data streams. ADSs are separate files, only accessible via the "host" (my word) file's name. You can use ADSs yourself and see them with DIR /:.

Code:
v:\> touch /c ntfs_stream_example.txt
2023-10-24 14:13:37.344  V:\ntfs_stream_example.txt

v:\> echo This is an example of using an NTFS alternate data stream. > ntfs_stream_example.txt:my_comment.txt

v:\> dir /: /k /m ntf*
2023-10-24  14:14               0  ntfs_stream_example.txt
                               59    my_comment.txt:$DATA

v:\> type ntfs_stream_example.txt:my_comment.txt
This is an example of using an NTFS alternate data stream.

And I'm pretty sure that Explorer cannot display NTFS alternate data streams.

I believe David meant the NTFS description which can be added with the DESCRIBE command ...

Such description can be displayed with "dir /z" then ... and NOT with "dir /:"

However, I don't assume that Explorer can display such descriptions ...

PS:
[Advanced TCC Directives Dialog, NTFS Descriptions ] must be enabled, else it would be create a "descript.ion" file instad a stream.

Last edited: