Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TakeCommand & npm

Feb
I've started using npm recently - please don't assume I know anything about the things I am doing (it's quite a new universe to explore). When running commands like "npm run dev" (in the root folder of a project) it generates output full of "weird stuff" reminding me of ANSI sequences which I vaguely remember having seen in the distant past - so I searched the doc, checked TCMD.INI and set

[TakeCommand]
ANSI=Yes
ANSIWin10=Yes

and did the same in the [4NT] section. But it did not help - here's a screenshot of TCMD and cmd executing the same command:

19-12-2023_11-12-15.png

I also tried setting opposite values and it did not have any effect - so I wonder if I am missing something basic?

Last edited:
What happens if TCC.EXE or CMD.EXE is running in a console (not in TCMD and not in WindowsTerminal)?

Are you using the legacy console? Perhaps you should try the newer one. [Alt-Space, Properties, Options]

1703009557646.png

P.S., If you've chosen WindowsTerminal as the default for console apps (I believe that's a Windows 11 option), it may be difficult to get TCC.EXE to run in a console. You might be able to do that with something like this (with appropriate paths).

Code:
c:\windows\system32\conhost.exe [path_to]\tcc.exe

I'm usually launching TCMD via a 3d party tool using something like "run shell command". It (or tcc) behaves the same also when using the Win+R shortcut or the Start menu. Using conhost also did not make a difference.

Wrt your 1st reply, I'm not sure what you mean with "legacy console" - also did not find that term in the hlp. Unfortunately TCMD runs with a german UI here, so that suggest commands did not give the exepcted menus. Alt+Space opens the window-menu with options like "Minimize", "Close" etc. The TCMD Menubar has an "Options" menu (next to "?") and it has various config items, but none of these seemed to have such a "properties" item...

Something interesting: "npm run dev" produces undesired output. After exiting it and typing "cmd" (while still in that console tab), I get a regular DOS prompt in that same tab - and suddenly "npm run dev" shows its proper output!

Is there another way to change this setting? As I said, Alt+Space doesn't show me anything where I could select "properties"

Are you doing Alt+Space in a TCC or CMD window? You can also right-click the window title. This is a Windows option, not Take Command. Windows is handling the console for TCC and CMD.

Are you doing Alt+Space in a TCC or CMD window? You can also right-click the window title. This is a Windows option, not Take Command. Windows is handling the console for TCC and CMD.

Also note that you will need to restart TCC after changing this setting. It only takes effect when the console window is started.

The Properties entry is at the very bottom of the control menu, below Minimize, Maximize, Close, etc. I assume the German menu is in the same order.

Ouch, ok - sorry, I misunderstood.
I wasn't using the legacy console - and surprisingly enough, going back to the legacy console fixes the problem!
But now...is there a way to get the same withTakeCommand?

Have you restarted Take Command? The legacy-vs.-new style console setting only takes effect when the console window is opened -- including the hidden console windows used by Take Command.

Happy to hear it.

It's easy to overlook the console windows, what with them being hidden and all.... But they are an integral part of Take Command, and do affect its operation.