Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Strange error: unset /s

Oct
(Elevated prompt under Windows 7)

Code:
129G C:\Users\johnb# set /s foo=foo

129G C:\Users\johnb# unset /s foo

TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
TCC: Not in environment "foo"

129G C:\Users\johnb# ver

TCC  12.00.41   Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
(The variable is removed the first time, but gives an error message.)

Running elevated in a stand-alone TCC prompt, I do not see your behavior.
TCC 12.00.41 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
TCC Build 41 Windows 7 Build 7600

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 07:31, jabelli <> wrote:

> (Elevated prompt under Windows 7)
>
>
> Code:
> ---------
> 129G C:\Users\johnb# set /s foo=foo
>
> 129G C:\Users\johnb# unset /s foo
>
> TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
> 129G C:\Users\johnb# unset /s foo
> TCC: Not in environment "foo"
>
> 129G C:\Users\johnb# ver
>
> TCC 12.00.41 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
> ---------
> (The variable is removed the first time, but gives an error message.)
>
>
>
>
>

--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.

(Elevated prompt under Windows 7)

Code:
129G C:\Users\johnb# set /s foo=foo

TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
TCC: Not in environment "foo"

129G C:\Users\johnb# ver

TCC  12.00.41   Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7600]
(The variable is removed the first time, but gives an error message.)

Not reproducible here.

Do you have any aliases for SET and/or UNSET?

I traced the code and the only way I can see to get that error message is if you somehow passed a /R to the UNSET command.
Well, it's not an alias, it's something in my .ini. Please find it attached here.

Attachments

• TCMD.INI.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 265
I tried it with your TCMD.INI, and still can't reproduce it here.

Are you saying that when you removed/renamed your TCMD.INI, the problem went away?

I can't think of anything in TCMD.INI that would be relevant; TCSTART would be more likely.
Yes. That's exactly what I did. I renamed TCSTART.btm to TCSTART.btm.disabled. All it does anyway is load SHRALIAS and fill up the alias/function/histories, establish a function required by the prompt/titleprompt if it wasn't loaded, and set the prompts. The error persists. Rename TCMD.ini and there's no problem. I will comment out bits and see what happens.

Attachments

• tcstart.btm.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 258
Yes. That's exactly what I did. I renamed TCSTART.btm to TCSTART.btm.disabled. All it does anyway is load SHRALIAS and fill up the alias/function/histories, establish a function required by the prompt/titleprompt if it wasn't loaded, and set the prompts. The error persists. Rename TCMD.ini and there's no problem. I will comment out bits and see what happens.
It's when "Update Environment on System Change" / SettingChange is on that I get the error.

No plugins. This is the 32-bit version; I will try 64 when I get home tonight.
More information: I run as a standard user, and use a different account to elevate. If I log in as the admin account and elevate from there, I do not get the error message.

This turns out to be a known Windows bug (since Vista -- apparently Microsoft isn't in any tearing hurry to fix it).

It doesn't have anything to do with UNSET.

It doesn't have anything to do with SET.

It doesn't even have anything to do with the System environment.

It's because of the WM_SETTINGCHANGE message. TCC is trying to update its local environment when it gets the message and before displaying the prompt. But when you are logged on as a normal user and running TCC as an administrator with another user's credentials, Windows returns an error when trying to access the Volatile environment -- but only if that other user is not currently logged on (or sometimes, if they've never been logged on since the last reboot).

Not much I can do about it other than just ignore the error result (though that may have some other undesirable results -- like if you were expecting an update from the Volatile environment, and wondered why it kept going to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky).

This turns out to be a known Windows bug (since Vista -- apparently Microsoft isn't in any tearing hurry to fix it).

It doesn't have anything to do with UNSET.

It doesn't have anything to do with SET.

It doesn't even have anything to do with the System environment.

It's because of the WM_SETTINGCHANGE message.

Yeah, I was thinking WM_SETTINGCHANGE once i found out exactly which entry was causing the problem. Thanks for checking this. Since it's a Windows bug, I'll just ignore it, and not expect any volatile environment updates unless I log in the other user.

Perhaps this might be a good thing to put in the help file?

Perhaps this might be a good thing to put in the help file?

IMO really obscure Windows bugs that pop up once in 10 years don't really merit inclusion in the help. I don't even know how I could describe it that wouldn't generate more confusion, and require more documentation!

And the chances that (1) somebody else will ever run into this, (2) and actually look for a reference to it in the help file seem vanishingly remote.