Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Folder/List view changed in v15

Apr
When starting the first instance of Tcmd the Folder/List view are empty. As soon as they recieve the focus they are updated but with the wrong (default starting-) folder. Always worked - not anymore.

*CDD /T %_cwd fixes the situation.

The problem stays away until I start a first instance.
DJ

I have v 14 and 15 running side-by-side and they are using the same INI file. I am accustomed to having both the folder-view and the list-view docked to the righthand side. The listview is always pinned, the folder-view is always auto-hidden. The first instance of v14 always displays correctly but the first instance of v15 leaves the listview empty - until I touch the folder-view.

I had absolutely no idea what to do about it so I left it for a while. After your question, what I did was (1) pin both windows, (2) restart tcmd (lists are displayed correctly) (3) unpinned the folder-view and restarted again. The problem remains, in v15 only.

I have no idea where to begin.

Cheers,
DJ

That was easy to reproduce. I normally have the list view on top and the folder view on the left, both pinned (don't think I ever moved them). So I dragged the list view and positioned it on the left, next to the folder view. Then I chose "auto hide" for the folder view (it was hidden, I got a tab). Then I closed TCMD and re-started it ... ListView comes up empty (until I monkey with the tab for the hidden folder view).

And, as for DJ, when I try the same thing with v14, the list view is populated upon startup.

That was easy to reproduce. I normally have the list view on top and the folder view on the left, both pinned (don't think I ever moved them). So I dragged the list view and positioned it on the left, next to the folder view. Then I chose "auto hide" for the folder view (it was hidden, I got a tab). Then I closed TCMD and re-started it ... ListView comes up empty (until I monkey with the tab for the hidden folder view).

See HELP WHATS_NEW for a list of changes in v15; that one's number eight.

Yes, but the list view is SHOWN (as desired); but it's not populated. "What's new" merely says
Code:
Take Command now doesn't update the Folder & List Views at startup if they are disabled or set to AutoHide. (This will speed up the load time substantially if you have network drives which are mapped but unavailable.)
If the behavior under discussion is WAD, perhaps "What's new" might also say
Code:
"and the ListView isn't updated/populated until the FolderView is."

Charles,
Your absolutely right. The 8-th item in the release notes does relate to my problem. Even after reading it more than once, I still didn't make the connection. My brain filed that point under "solves startup delays" the first time I read it and after the second time "is about updating, not filling". So,.. well done. Good catch.
DJ

It is WAD - the List View is a child of the Folder View.

Rex,
So, if I want to have a file list I must have a folder list. I guess I could make the folder list so narrow that it looks about the same as before, except of course the tab that usually opens the folder-view is now reduced to the pin. You click to un-pin first and then you click the folder tab. (Remember not to exit or you'll loose your files again) Pin to minimize after the folderview auto-closes.
I guess that's WAD.

Would it be possible to change the implementation of cdd (perhaps /TO) in such a way that it would force the list view to populate?
DJ