Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Take Command and UNCs for Folder List

Nov
I am having a couple of issues with the Folder Tree View in Take Command with UNCs.

1. When I type in a UNC ending in a share (\\server\share$) the List View shows the name of computers in the network instead of the share contents. There are actually files in the root share.

2. When I try to access a certain server's share via UNC, Take Command either says it cannot find the path specified, or crashes. The path works in Explorer, works with cdd in TCC. It is on a Windows Server 2003 server. It has only folders, and contains no files at the root (share) level.

I am having a couple of issues with the Folder Tree View in Take Command with UNCs.

1. When I type in a UNC ending in a share (\\server\share$) the List View shows the name of computers in the network instead of the share contents. There are actually files in the root share.

2. When I try to access a certain server's share via UNC, Take Command either says it cannot find the path specified, or crashes. The path works in Explorer, works with cdd in TCC. It is on a Windows Server 2003 server. It has only folders, and contains no files at the root (share) level.

Not reproducible here. Can you give me the *exact* sequence of steps you're doing, and the exact strings you're entering (and where -- in the toolbar?)?

Can you access your UNCs if you select them in the Folders view?

Win7; TCMD 14.03.59

It's similar (and screwy) here too. I type "\\zz\c$(Enter)" in the location box. After 5 seconds TCMD's caption changes to include "Not responding". After about 30 seconds, that addition to the caption goes away, "Network" in the FoldersView expands showing (among others) "c$(\\zz)"; ListView is still showing the original contents of the local v:\. If I single click FolderView\c$(\\zz) it expands (no change in ListView). Any further clicking on Folders\c$(\\zz) merely closes it back up or re-expands it (still no change in ListView). If I click Folders\c$(\\zz)\subdir, finally something shows in ListView (contents of subdir). If I then click the "up to higher level" ListView stays in subdir and a new "c$(\\zz)" appears undet Folders\Network\ (I'm up to 4 of them now). Only now will clicking one of the "c$(\\zz)" will its contents show in ListView.

After all this, closing TCMD gives "TCMD has stopped working ..." and this GPF file is left:
Code:
TCMD  14.03.59
Module=C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Address=76E12D37
Exception=C0000005
EAX=2F00621B  EBX=09F07318  ECX=0A030000  EDX=09F07318
ESI=03CC0CC8  EDI=09F07310  EBP=01DBAC10  ESP=01DBABDC
CS=0000001B  DS=00000023  ES=00000023  SS=00000023
Flags=00010202

Stack:
1 : ntdll.dll 0001:00051d37
2 : ntdll.dll 0001:00051ce8
3 :  0000:00000000
4 : tcmd.exe 0001:00157e39
5 : tcmd.exe 0001:00047547

It's similar (and screwy) here too. I type "\\zz\c$(Enter)" in the location box. After 5 seconds TCMD's caption changes to include "Not responding".

Does it only happen with hidden shares (those ending in $), or do you see the same issue with non-hidden shares too?

That's all in contrast to what happens in explorer. In explorer, if I type "\\zz\c$" in the location box, the contents of the root of the share show immediately in explorer's right pane and NOTHING happens in explorer's navigation pane (not even inside "Network").

Does it only happen with hidden shares (those ending in $), or do you see the same issue with non-hidden shares too?
I have only one non-hidden share, "Users". After 5 sec, "not responding". After 30 seconds
Code:
---------------------------
Take Command
The system cannot find the path specified.
 "\\zz\Users"
OK   
Explorer shows it immediately (just as described in my most recent post).

It's similar (and screwy) here too. I type "\\zz\c$(Enter)" in the location box. After 5 seconds TCMD's caption changes to include "Not responding".

Still not reproducible here.

Is "\\zz" visible in your Folders view (before entering it in the address combo box)? If not, you cannot switch to it by entering the UNC in the toolbar. No way around that -- it's a Windows control and it's a limitation of that control.

Still not reproducible here.

Is "\\zz" visible in your Folders view (before entering it in the address combo box)? If not, you cannot switch to it by entering the UNC in the toolbar. No way around that -- it's a Windows control and it's a limitation of that control.
No it's not. And I really don't want to go to \\zz anyway since all the shares I'm interested in are hidden ($) ones.

There's nothing I can do about that (unless Microsoft decides to give me their source code).
That's OK with me. I was just confirming and elaborating on NetMage's observation. I typically use only TCC (which handles UNC stuff perfectly) and I have one-click ways of opening drives and folders on the remote machine in Explorer.