Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Possible Incorrect COMSPEC handling

Aug
I’m trying to fix a vendor’s program that has CMD.EXE hard-coded as the command processor by writing a simple C shell program that merely passes command line parameters to whatever command processor is specified in the Windows COMSPEC environment variable. As a test, I wrote a simple program that uses getenv() to get COMSPEC and printf() to display it. Running it at a CMD.EXE prompt I get C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe as expected. Running it at a TCC.EXE prompt I get the name of my own program rather than the path of the TCC executable. This happens under both the full version Take Command 14 and TCC/LE 13.

At the TCC command prompt, executing a SET command displays the correct value for COMSPEC.

Code:
  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
  {
      char *comspec;

comspec = getenv("COMSPEC");
      printf("COMSPEC = %s\n",comspec);
      return 0;
  }

I have compiled the program in both Watcom Open C/C++ and Borland C/C++ and get the same results with both of them so I can’t see this being a compiler bug. I could see it being a Windows bug or some setting that I need to change. I suppose it could even be a programming error on my part although the program is ridiculously simple (that’s often when I make mistakes <sigh>).

Anyone know why this might be happening?

Your problem is bizarre. "int main(void)" is somewhat unusual. Perhaps it confuses Borland/Watcom. How about

int main(int argc, char *argc[]) or int main(int argc, char *argc[], char *envp[])