Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

@PID, v31 vs. v32

May
The ISAPP conditional expression test does this also. Below both are unelevated. The error message does not appear when v32 is elevated.

1715018840071.png

It has something to do with START /UNELEVATED (my own RUNDOWN.EXE and SPOOFPPID.EXE, too). I was starting the unelevated v32 with one of those three. It's OK if I start the unelevated v32 in a more conventional way (Explorer, Start\Run, ...). I think it might have something to do with the started process having/getting the SE_DEBUG_NAME privilege (but I could be way off).

START has never set / unset the SE_DEBUG_NAME privilege.
I'm not sure SE_DEBUG_NAME is the culprit (the help mentions it in connection with ISAPP) but both ISAPP and @PID give the error message when TCC was started by an elevated instance with START /UNELEVATED. When that happens, the ISAPP test fails and @PID gives the right answer in spite of the error message. They work OK in unelevated instances not started with START /UNELEVATED.

Just as a test, I uncommented (and added a Printf to) a line in InitializePlugin. I used to use it until I discovered it wasn't necessary (since I'm always an admin).

Code:
Printf(L"%d\r\n", EnableDebugPriv(TRUE));

Except for the case when TCC is started by START /UNELEVATED, it works ("1" is printed). When TCC is started by START /UNELEVATED, I see this.

Code:
TCC: (Sys) Access is denied.
 "OpenProcessToken"

The call that fails is this one.

Code:
if ( OpenProcessToken( GetCurrentProcess(), TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES | TOKEN_QUERY, &hToken ) ) ...

You meant probably it works with START /ELEVATED above ...

However: "interesting" case again.

Could this be relevated to the user environment somehow??

I have a plugin that does this — though I no longer remember why — and I can confirm that START /UNELEVATED causes OpenProcessToken(GetCurrentProcess(),...) to fail.

Does this constitute an actual problem? I really don't know.

Does this constitute an actual problem? I really don't know.
It was a small problem for me at first. I was editing/debugging a STARTOUTLOOK.BTM which used IF ISAPP and I was getting the unexpected "Access is denied" messages. That BTM won't run elevated and since I'm usually in an elevated TCC, I needed to start an unelevated one for testing. I used START /UNELEVATED (though I have other ways of doing the same thing) and I noticed the anomaly. Now that I know what's going on, it's no longer a problem.

I'm still curious about whether the behavior can be changed ... whether you can spoof the parent PID (a la Raymond Chen) and not get a default/lame set of privileges.

As I (not very accurately) said before, all of these work in a TCC started with START /UNELEVATED in spite of the error message. I wonder where the error comes from and if it could be expected and ignored, at least in some cases. IF ISAPP tcc.exe doesn't work but that's another story.

Code:
v:\> echo %@pid[outlook.exe]

v:\> echo %@pid[utlook.exe]

v:\> if isapp tcc (echo yes) else (echo no)
yes

v:\> if not isapp tcc (echo no) else (echo yes)
yes