Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help! Uninstalling TCC did not restore cmd.exe as Win10 default batch file processor.

Aug
How do I restore cmd.exe as the default program for .bat files?

My TCC trial expired, so I uninstalled it. However, I am unable to run batch files on Win10 x64 because Windows lost it's association with a batch file command processor (default cmd.exe).

Apparently, you can't just associate a file type .bat with cmd.exe. There seems to be a number of registry entries that control cmd.exe and associate .bat files to that executable. I discovered this problem by trying to install software that used a batch file as part of it's installation routine...

cmd.exe not working on .bat files.jpg

How do I restore cmd.exe as the default program for .bat files?

I posted a batch a few weeks back to reset the .BAT and .CMD to their defaults. But unfortunately, it's a Take Command batch file, and you've uninstalled Take Command....

I think this should work in an elevated CMD.EXE:
Code:
assoc .bat=batfile
assoc .cmd=cmdfile
ftype batfile="%1" %*
ftype cmdfile="%1" %*

Possibly only the first line, or the first two lines, is all you really need.

I posted a batch a few weeks back to reset the .BAT and .CMD to their defaults. But unfortunately, it's a Take Command batch file, and you've uninstalled Take Command....

I think this should work in an elevated CMD.EXE:
Code:
assoc .bat=batfile
assoc .cmd=cmdfile
ftype batfile="%1" %*
ftype cmdfile="%1" %*

Possibly only the first line, or the first two lines, is all you really need.

I reinstalled TCC and ran all 4 lines. No go. It didn't work

I reinstalled TCC and ran all 4 lines. No go. It didn't work

The lines I posted above were intended for an elevated CMD.EXE. If you want to use TCC, double the percent signs (and TCC must be elevated, too.)

Would it make sense to post, or make available for download somehow, a .REG file?

SOLVED

Hey Charles,

Thanks for the script. It DID work. I thought I had followed the steps you specified at first. But apparently I missed something because I gave it one more go today and my cmd.exe is restored and working.

I ran an elevated cmd.exe (as administrator) and entered each of the four lines of the script you provided one by one. Viola! Everything is back as it was.

Thanks!

Jim