Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

An anomaly and a question about EVERYTHING

May
FFIND shows this.

Code:
v:\> ffind /a: /s /b c:\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\123.0.2420.97\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeCore\123.0.2420.65\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeCore\123.0.2420.97\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\123.0.2420.65\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat

Two of those files are hard links to the other two.

Code:
v:\> do f in /p ffind /a: /s /b c:\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat (echo %@inode["%f"])
00110000:000EAE11
002A0000:00082772
00110000:000EAE11
002A0000:00082772

The anomaly is that my ES plugin and the Everything GUI show 3 of them! Why not 2 or 4?

Code:
v:\> es /p c:\*show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeCore\123.0.2420.65\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeCore\123.0.2420.97\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\EdgeWebView\Application\123.0.2420.65\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat

1713126164373.png

The question is what syntax is needed to get EVERYTHING to show any of them? With the above syntax, EVERYTHING finds nothing.

Code:
v:\> everything /p c:\*show_third_party_software_licenses.bat

v:\>

After a forced database rebuild, ES and the GUI show all 4. The question about EVERYTHING stil stands.

I HAD exactly the same problem:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\123.0.2420.97\show_third_party_software_licenses.bat" was missing in EVERYTHING GUI.

But here, after rebuilding the database (for user! not for admin - I use everything normally with restricted user rights), it finds all.

And because search wich everything command line:

I was successful with ...

Code:
everything c:\*show_third_party_software_licenses.bat

and also with ...

Code:
everything /p c:\*show_third_party_software_licenses.bat

Are you sure you had rebuilt the correct db?

My tests that were failing were with a long-running instance of TCC 32.10.20. They work OK in a newly-started instance. Several times in the past, long-running instances of TCC32 have behaved badly. I'll keep an eye on it.

A possibility: TCC crashed last night (I found a crash dump) but it didn't stop running. When I analyzed the dump I found

Code:
FAILURE_IMAGE_NAME:  Everything64.dll

That DLL is used by my ES plugin. So maybe the in-memory code of that DLL was corrupted. Rex, do you know if that's possible?

A possibility: TCC crashed last night (I found a crash dump) but it didn't stop running. When I analyzed the dump I found

Code:
FAILURE_IMAGE_NAME:  Everything64.dll

That DLL is used by my ES plugin. So maybe the in-memory code of that DLL was corrupted. Rex, do you know if that's possible?

You'd get a better answer by posting this question on the Voidtools forum. I do not have the source code for that dll.