Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Spruced-up copy/move output - different-colored lines, emoji, ANSI, double-height summariees

Jul
Yay!

I decided to modernize the appearance of my copy/move commands...
  • Each line is a unique color & begins with an appropriate emoji
  • Errors and footers are double-height & blink
  • Errors are underlined
  • Prompts have random background coors
  • File-counts are double-underlined

It's sooooooooooooooo much easier for me to see where one name starts and another name ends, when each line is a different color and prefixed with an emoji:
1691041566400.png

Double-height/blinking/reverse/stop-sign-emoji'ed errors grab my attention better, especially if my text is zoomed to a small size:
copycopy.gif

Everything is achieved via a python postprocessing script copy-move-post.py (attached).

Just redefine your move/copy commands to pass through copy-move-post.py:
Code:
alias copy=*copy %* |& copy-move-post.py
alias move=*move %* |& copy-move-post.py

Here is what copy-move-post.py looks like:

Code:
import random
import sys
import re
from colorama import init
init(autoreset=False)

FOOTERS = ["files copied","files moved","file copied","file moved"]

MIN_RGB_VALUE_FG = 42; MAX_RGB_VALUE_FG = 255
MIN_RGB_VALUE_BG = 16; MAX_RGB_VALUE_BG = 64

def get_random_color(bg=False):
    if bg: min_rgb_value = MIN_RGB_VALUE_BG; max_rgb_value = MAX_RGB_VALUE_BG
    else:  min_rgb_value = MIN_RGB_VALUE_FG; max_rgb_value = MAX_RGB_VALUE_FG
    return random.randint(min_rgb_value,max_rgb_value), \
           random.randint(min_rgb_value,max_rgb_value), \
           random.randint(min_rgb_value,max_rgb_value)

def enclose_numbers(line): return re.sub(r'(\d+)', r'\033[21m\1\033[24m', line)                                             # ansi-stylize numbers - italics + double-underline

def print_line(line_buffer, r, g, b, additional_beginning_ansi=""):
    double  = False                                                                                                         # double height or not?
    summary = False                                                                                                         # copy/mv summary line?
    if any(substring in line_buffer for substring in FOOTERS):
        line_buffer = enclose_numbers(line_buffer)
        double      = True
        summary     = True
    line = f'\033[93m'                                                                                                      # i like my arrow yellow
    if   any(substring in line_buffer for substring in ["=>","->"]):     line += f'⭢︋ '                                    # emojis at beginning of filename lines
    if   any(substring in line_buffer for substring in ["Y/N/A/R"]):     line += f'❓❓ '                                     # emojis at beginning of prompty  lines
    elif any(substring in line_buffer for substring in ["TCC: (Sys)"]):
        double = True;                                                   line += f'\033[6m\033[3m\033[4m\033[7m'        # emojis at beginning of error    lines during copying
    elif summary:                                                        line += f'✔️'                                      # emojis at beginning of summary  lines of how many files copied
    else:                                                                line += f'  '                                      # normal lines get prefixed with this
    line += f'\033[38;2;{r};{g};{b}m{additional_beginning_ansi}{line_buffer.rstrip()}\033[0m\n'                             # print line in our random-RGB color
    line = line.replace("=>>","↪️") #.replace("=>","⭢︋")
    if not double: sys.stdout.write(line)                                                                                   # normal height line
    else:          sys.stdout.write(f'\033#3{line}\033#4{line}')                                                            # double height line

################################################################################################################################################################

line_buffer = ""
in_prompt = False
additional_beginning_ansi = ""
r, g, b = get_random_color()
while True:                                                                                                                         # It's tempting to process things line-by-line, but due to prompts and such, we must process things char-by-char
    char = sys.stdin.read(1)
    if not char: break
    line_buffer += char
    if char == '?' and not in_prompt:
        in_prompt = True
        bgr, bgg, bgb = get_random_color(bg=True)                                                                                   # Reset for the next line
        r  ,   g,   b = get_random_color()                                                                                          # Reset for the next line
        #ys.stdout.write(f'\033[38;2;{r};{g};{b}m{additional_beginning_ansi}❓❓   \033[6m{line_buffer}\033[0m ') #\033[1C
        #ys.stdout.write(f'\033[48;2;{r};{g};{b}m{additional_beginning_ansi}❓❓   \033[6m{line_buffer}\033[0m ') #\033[1C
        sys.stdout.write(f'\033[48;2;{bgr};{bgg};{bgb}m\033[38;2;{r};{g};{b}m{additional_beginning_ansi}❓❓   \033[6m{line_buffer} ') #\033[0m #\033[1C
        sys.stdout.flush()                                                                                                          # Flush the output buffer to display the prompt immediately
        line_buffer = ""
    elif in_prompt and char == '\n':
        in_prompt = False
        sys.stdout.write(f'\033[1D{line_buffer.rstrip()}\033[0m\n')
        line_buffer = ""
    elif char == '\n':
        if any(substring in line_buffer for substring in FOOTERS): additional_beginning_ansi += "\033[6m"                           # make it blink
        print_line(line_buffer, r, g, b, additional_beginning_ansi)
        line_buffer               = ""                                                                                              # Reset for the next line
        additional_beginning_ansi = ""                                                                                              # Reset for the next line
        r, g, b = get_random_color()                                                                                                # Reset for the next line

P.S. Unimportant, but I also changed the "append" arrow ("=>>") to an emoji arrow I find more pleasing in Windows Terminal:
1691041331424.png

Last edited:
You're probably gonna need Windows Terminal to support the fancy ANSI

By the way, this has now evolved to the point of having color-cycling characters (to keep things interesting)!

The current version can be found here:

And requires:

to be installed {to access my color_cycling library}

and of course Windows Terminal

It's trippy af and you definitely know the process isn't hung when the color of the backslashes are all cycling! :)

I will make a standalone 1-file version if anyone wants

Back