Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

More on Everything

May
The old thread was getting messy.

Rex, are you sure TCC never adds/removes the WM_COPYDATA filter? I see that TCC.EXE imports ChangeWindowMessageFilter.

And does TCC ever load any Everything DLL (I can see no evidence of it). I'm still trying to figure out why, in any instance of TCC, only the first-used of EVERYTHING (internal) and ES (plugin) works. I haven't yet asked about it on the Everything forum.

TCC does this at startup (not when it runs the Everything) command:

// enable WM_COPYDATA (for EVERYTHING) if we're elevated (Windows normally doesn't allow this)
ChangeWindowMessageFilter(WM_COPYDATA, MSGFLT_ADD);

TCC never removes the filter.

There is no everything.dll distributed with TCMD / TCC.

TCC does this at startup (not when it runs the Everything) command:

// enable WM_COPYDATA (for EVERYTHING) if we're elevated (Windows normally doesn't allow this)
ChangeWindowMessageFilter(WM_COPYDATA, MSGFLT_ADD);

TCC never removes the filter.
That's just like my plugin which adds the filter in InitializePlugin and never removes it. That makes if even more mysterious that in any instance of TCC, only the first-used of EVERYTHING (internal) and ES (plugin) works. Got any ideas about that phenomenon?

Does TCC run EVERYTHING.EXE when it does a search? I could find no evidence that it does.

OK, thanks. I noticed that everything /O opens both the search GUI and the options GUI. WAD?

And if the Everything client is elevated and TCC is not elevated, everything /O opens the search GUI and not the options GUI. (???)

That's better than my ES which does the GUI stuff by sending messages to an Everything window. In the situation above, I get

Code:
v:\> es /o
Everything IPC window does not accept WM_COMMAND

I'm beginning to see why it's called Everything ... because everything about it is difficult! :mad:

I'm beginning to see why it's called Everything ... because everything about it is difficult! :mad:

From ChatGPT:
The term "everything" typically refers to the entirety or total of all things or entities that exist, without exception. It encompasses all objects, concepts, events, phenomena, and any other form of existence. "Everything" is an expansive concept that includes all matter, energy, time, space, thoughts, emotions, and any other conceivable or inconceivable aspect of reality. It implies a complete or comprehensive scope, leaving nothing out or beyond its reach. However, it's worth noting that in some philosophical discussions, the concept of "everything" can be subject to different interpretations and debates regarding the nature and extent of its meaning.

That explains all OR NOTHING ... sorry could not resist ... :banghead:

/O opens Everything.exe and then keystacks a Ctrl-P to everything.exe to open the options dialog.

I don't know exactly how you're doing things but I go directly to the options dialog with this.

Code:
HWND hWndEverythingIPC = FindWindowW(EVERYTHING_IPC_WNDCLASSW, nullptr);
// ...
SendMessage(hWndEverythingIPC, WM_COMMAND, EVERYTHING_IPC_ID_TRAY_OPTIONS, 0);

I'm using a recently-downloaded SDK. At least a few of #defines for constants have changed since my 6-7-year old SDK. I have

Code:
#define EVERYTHING_IPC_WNDCLASSW         L"EVERYTHING_TASKBAR_NOTIFICATION"

_Everything_SendAPIBoolCommand(int command,LPARAM lParam) wraps up all that window stuff but I don't know how to use it.