Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

IF command problem in tcexit.btm

May
TCC 25.00.23 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.18362.476]

For the following tcexit.btm
Code:
:: tcexit.btm
@ECHO OFF
echo Pipe %_pipe Trans %_transient > c:\Users\Public\test_output\1before_if
if %_pipe != "0" .or. %_transient != "0" quit
echo Pipe %_pipe Trans %_transient > c:\Users\Public\test_output\2after_if

If I exit an instance of TakeCommand by executing EXIT at the command prompt of the single remaining tab the following output occurs:​
Code:
 Directory of  C:\Users\Public\test_output\*

11/14/2019  20:03              16  1before_if
11/14/2019  20:03              16  2after_if
                  32 bytes in 2 files and 0 dirs

>cat 1before_if
Pipe 0 Trans 0
 >cat 2after_if
Pipe 0 Trans 0

However, if I exit by clicking the X button window control or the X Close window option on the Taskbar icon or selecting the Menu Bar HOME EXIT option the following output occurs:​
Code:
 Directory of  C:\Users\Public\test_output\*

11/14/2019  20:46              16  1before_if
                  16 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs

>cat 1before_if
Pipe 0 Trans 0
Why isn't the second ECHO command executed for these exit cases??? :confused:

I don't see how that final line could ever be executed. You're quoting the zeroes but not the variables; the condition should never be true.

With a similar TCEXIT

Code:
set test=%[_PIPE]%[_TRANSIENT]
echo before: %_pid %test > v:\tcexit.log
if "%test" != "00" quit
echo after: %_pid %test >> v:\tcexit.log

I get both log entries (before/after) regardless of how I terminate TCC ... the EXIT command, X the console, X the TCMD tab, X TCMD, choose Home\Exit in TCMD.

Perhaps if I had posted the actual - as executed tcexit.btm it would make more sense Guess I should have waited until morning to post the question! :oops:
Code:
:: tcexit.btm
@ECHO OFF
if %_pipe != 0 .or. %_transient != 0 quit

Note: The actual IF statement is identical to the example found in the HELP for TCSTART and TCEXIT.​

So -- Why isn't the second ECHO command executed for all of the exit cases??? :confused:

Okay. I can replicate this.

Here's a version that works as you would expect:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
if "%_pipe" != "0" .or. "%_transient" != "0" quit

And here is a version which displays the same behavior, but without the IF command:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
echo %@eval[6 * 9]

My wild-assed guess: When you exit by closing the console — the big red X — Windows kills the associated program very quickly, a fraction of a second. But when you use the EXIT command, there is no time limit; TCC can take as long as it wants. And I suspect that the parsing of numbers is pretty slow, due to the big-numbers support Rex added a few versions back.

Okay. I can replicate this.
, , , ,
Thanks for taking the time to confirm my somewhat flawed report. If your surmise is correct then this really impairs the utility of tcexit.btm at least for my usage cases [and IMNSHO]. I don't want to count on winning a race against the OS -- we all know just who is going to win! :rolleyes:

I only noticed this behavior after upgrading to TakeCommand 25.00.23 x64 from 24.02.51 x64 and have no idea just how long this has been a feature? :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to confirm my somewhat flawed report. If your surmise is correct then this really impairs the utility of tcexit.btm at least for my usage cases [and IMNSHO]. I don't want to count on winning a race against the OS -- we all know just who is going to win! :rolleyes:

I only noticed this behavior after upgrading to TakeCommand 25.00.23 x64 from 24.02.51 x64 and have no idea just how long this has been a feature? :smile:
Don't know; I've never noticed it. And my guess as to what's going on could be completely wrong. Hoping to hear from Rex on this one.

Something peculiar is going on. With a simple PAUSE in TCEXIT, the TCC process terminates a full 5 seconds after any attempt to terminate (EXIT, X-ing the console, X-ing a TCMD tab, X-ing TCMD itself). So Windows is giving it the 5 (as advertised) seconds.

That all changes if, before the PAUSE, I put an "ECHO %@EVAL[]" statement (like Charles) ... then X-ing the console is immediate. It's not the time to execute the @EVAL ... "DELAY 1" does not have that effect.

An interesting Windows bug / undocumented behavior.

Windows is throwing an exception (in ntdll, not in the TCC code) if an EnterCriticalSection API call is made during the WM_QUERYENDSESSION processing. The math library is calling EnterCriticalSection to allow multithreading, so disabling the critical section calls will break other (more obvious) things.

I can add a kludge to turn off multithreading during shutdown (which *probably* won't break too many things).

rconn said:
I can add a kludge to turn off multithreading during shutdown . . .

May we expect that to happen or will the Take Command/TCC HELP section TCC Termination Program be updated to clearly identify the only(?) case where the TCEXIT program can be expected to run to a normal exit? :smile:

Update: Of course Rex fixed this -- perhaps before I posted the comment. Next time I'll check updates before posting! :oops:

Last edited: