Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done HASH suggestion for v27

I don't think I knew about HASH. But I do think the following has been discussed before. The following statement (from HASH's help) is not true.

Code:
The hash value is a unique value corresponding to the content of a file. If two files have the same hash value and they're using SHA256, SHA384, or SHA512, then they have the same content (regardless of their file names or locations).

Should be "are very likely to have".
Probably should be left unsaid. Consider only 65-byte files (256^65 = 2^520 of them). There are 256^64 = 2^512 possible values for SHA512. That's an average of 256 files for each possible value of SHA512. ... hardly a good bet that two with the same SHA512 will be the same!

Probably should be left unsaid. Consider only 65-byte files (256^65 = 2^520 of them). There are 256^64 = 2^512 possible values for SHA512. That's an average of 256 files for each possible value of SHA512. ... hardly a good bet that two with the same SHA512 will be the same!

And 255 times as many possible files with different hashes? Seems like pretty good odds to me.

It is known that hashes could collide. The thing is that probability of deliberately crafting such a hash is insignificant for a given purpose.