Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3rd party editors

Apr
I thought it might be nice to have a thread about what 3rd party editors TCMD/TCC users use. I'll start off with the one I use:

- Multi-Edit 2008

I use VEDIT. I used to use PMATE, which was by far my favorite text editor, but the author did not continue to support it, and it stopped working properly under newer versions of Windows.

TSEPro 4.2 - old, hasn't been updated in a long time, but works without issue under Windows 7. Incredibly powerful, which is why I use it. Completely oblivious to Unicode... which does come in handy for some stuff. When I need to do Unicode stuff, I use BabelPad (a rather limited editor, but handles Unicode better than every single other editor out there).

SPFLite which is a clone of the IBM mainframe editor that I had used for many years when I was a systems programmer.

On MS Windows, TextPad and (mostly to handle Unicode) UltraEdit. I need to run many simultaneous program instances with many overlapping document windows in each. Both of these editors support that way of working.

Lugaru's Epsilon: http://www.lugaru.com/. Powerful. Customizable. Starts quickly from the command line. Versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, OS/2, and DOS. Excellent support. There is a user-supplied btm mode, but it hasn't been updated in a while.

EditPad Pro 7 - The best editor I've found so far (big brother of EditPad Lite).
It has syntax highlighters for alot of languages, and if it doesn't have yours then you can easily construct it yourself as long as you understand
how to create regexes (if someone hasn't already published a scheme for the langage you need).
Same/similar regex engine as PowerGrep is used for search/replace. It doesn't seem to have multicaret/edit/select.
Eventual bugs and such seems to get fixed rather promptly.

UltraEdit, Boxer, SciTE and NoteTab Pro - Quite useful for different reasons, but not for syntax highlighting (although SciTE has a somewhat decent one).

Last edited:
In order...
Sublime Text
EmEditor
Editpad Pro
Notepad ++
PSPad
GVim

I just saw this message thread. The truth is, I use so many editors that I wrote "editors.btm" to remind myself of exactly what I have. The ones I use most often are listed in descending order for each category.

You'll notice that there are 2 columns. The left column is the alias, *.btm, or *.cmd file that points to the executable.

===[ GUI editors ]===
emacs GNU Emacs
npp Notepad++
emed*it EmEditor
me*w Multi-Edit 2008
tse, g TSE Pro v4.50rc
g449 TSE Pro v4.49
g440 TSE Pro v4.40
psp PSPad
code Visual Studio Code
rjtext RJ Text Editor
tcedit Take Command Editor
pfe32 Programmer's File Editor

===[ Console editors ]===
tde TDE
e TSE Pro v4.50rc
e449 TSE Pro v4.49
e440 TSE Pro v4.40
vim vim
ed ed

===[ Cygwin console editors ]===
vim vim
jstar joe with WS keymap
jmacs joe with Emacs keymap
joe joe
ed ed
nano nano

On Windows 10: When not using the editors built into my development environment, I use Notepad++ a lot. For quick edits I often use Notepad3.

Is there a place on this forum (or web site) where syntax highlighting or language config modules/definitions specifically for TCC batch files, for the various editors can be found or put? If I decide to edit one of my many *.btm files, I want the editor of choice (Emacs, NPP, EmEditor, etc) to automatically recognize and colorize the commands, variables, functions, and special operators used in TakeCommand batch files.

My all time favourite, since 1985, remains Kedit. Just as I started with 4DOS on DOS, which became 4OS/2 on OS/2, then 4NT and finally Take Command on Windows, so has Kedit gone from a DOS version to Kedit/2 on OS/2, and finally Kedit for Windows today.

Just as I have BTM scripts written as far back as 1999, I have KEX macro files dating back to 1992. If it works, don't fix it. The only other tool I've kept for so long has been Windows Commander, which became Total Commander, and there is a freeware workalike Double Command, which runs on Linux, as well.

On Windows, I use Kedit 90% of the time, and Notepad++ the other 10% of the time. On Linux, I use Kate, Neovim, as well as Kedit running under Wine.

Is there a place on this forum (or web site) where syntax highlighting or language config modules/definitions specifically for TCC batch files, for the various editors can be found or put? If I decide to edit one of my many *.btm files, I want the editor of choice (Emacs, NPP, EmEditor, etc) to automatically recognize and colorize the commands, variables, functions, and special operators used in TakeCommand batch files.
For most editors, I just go into the configuration and map .BTM to be the same as .BAT. There are some slight differences, but 90% of the keywords are covered.

UltraEdit, I bought a free upgrade for life license back around when they were on version 9, and they stopped using the version numbers in the mid twenties. They now use the 2024,x now. So I think that I got my monies worth out of that purchase. For the job I worked back when I purchased it, I used its FTP, SSH and Telnet functionality as well.

I used Multi-Edit at on time as well, but I liked UltraEdit better.

I use VisualStudio for C programming and, for almost two decades, TextPad for everything else. TextPad does everything I want. This thread surely reinforces the adage "To each his own" (and probably a few others).

I use Notepad++ for "normal" things and VS Code for programming (Python). I used also UltraEdit and for short time Sublime Text, but for me, Notepad++ is enough.

FAR Manager's internal editor with Colorer plugin. (Hello from the old forum.) Covers 99% of the tasks not related to actual programming.

Then Visual Studio Code for when it matters.

I use gvim 95% of the time. Occasionally Notepad++, but not often. Visual Studio Code is installed, and is automatically associated with certain file types, but that doesn't come up very often.

Back