Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wrong version number in Start Menu?

Dec
Installed TCC 32.0 build 13. It created a shortcut in my Start Menu called TCC v312

???????

tcc312.jpg

More weirdness.

Installed TCC 32.0 build 14. Right click on tcc.exe, select Properties --> Details and it shows version 32.0.14 which is exactly what I would expect.

At the TCC command line, type ver and it says
TCC 32.00.11
TCC Build 11

TCC 32.00.11
TCC Build 11
That's pretty odd looking. Here, the output of VER looks like this.

Code:
TCC  32.00.14 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19045.4170]

Is VER an alias? If so, try *VER. Do you have anything here (TakeCommand\Options\TakeCommand\Tabs)?

1711032200357.png

More weirdness.

Installed TCC 32.0 build 14. Right click on tcc.exe, select Properties --> Details and it shows version 32.0.14 which is exactly what I would expect.

TCC 32.00.11
TCC Build 11

VER will not display that output. You've either got an alias or plugin that's replacing the internal VER.

How exactly are you starting TCC - from a shortcut? As a Take Command tab?

VER will not display that output. You've either got an alias or plugin that's replacing the internal VER.

How exactly are you starting TCC - from a shortcut? As a Take Command tab?
I do not have the full Take Command installed, only TCC and TCC-RT.
TCC is installed in "C:\Program Files\TCC"
I am starting TCC from a shortcut that points to "C:\Program Files\TCC\tcc.exe"

There are no aliases or plugins

ver has always returned the correct version number in the past.

Now, typing ver at the command line results in this:

tcc-1.png

Installed TCC 32 build 15
ver still reports 32.00.11

Uninstalled TCC
Made sure "C:\Program Files\TCC" was completely empty
Scrubbed registry of references to TCC
Reboot
Install TCC 32 build 15
ver now reports correct build number

Everything was fine up to and including build 11. Somewhere after build 11 something went kablooey, but seems to be fixed now.

Wheeeeeee computers are fun!!

Did you get any errors in your previous update attempts? It seems like the update failed to overwrite the previous tcc.exe / takecmd.dll etc. (either because it was write protected or in use). The Windows Installer will pop up an error message in that case, though it gives you the option to continue. So some of the installed files will get updated, but the executable will not.

Did you get any errors in your previous update attempts? It seems like the update failed to overwrite the previous tcc.exe / takecmd.dll etc. (either because it was write protected or in use). The Windows Installer will pop up an error message in that case, though it gives you the option to continue. So some of the installed files will get updated, but the executable will not.
There were no errors reported. I've made that mistake in the past -- I've had an instance of TCC running and the installer complains, so I close whatever is running and then continue.

I've got many years of experience screwing things up so it is entirely possible that it was my fault, but it really seems like there was something in one of the builds after build 11 that wasn't quite right.

Anyway, build 15 is running now and all is well.