Working with a date range of files...

Oct 14, 2015
How can I enumerate and work with an age range of files based in minutes? I'd like to be able to copy files from a directory based on being x minutes old.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
For a file with name %f, this will give the age in minutes of its WRITE time (to 1 decimal places).

Code:
%@eval[(%@makeage[%_date,%_time] - %@fileage["%f"]) / 600000000=1]

And this will use its CREATION time.

Code:
%@eval[(%@makeage[%_date,%_time] - %@fileage["%f",,c]) / 600000000=1]

For example, using write times,

Code:
v:\> do f in n*.txt (echo %f is %@eval[(%@makeage[%_date,%_time] - %@fileage["%f"]) / 600000000=1] minutes old)
nowfile.txt is 12.1 minutes old
ntqip.txt is 646157.7 minutes old

To TCC, an "age" is a Windows FILETIME ... the number of 100-nanosecond units since 01-01-1601, 00:00:00. Dividing by 10,000,000 gives seconds (and so on).

Oct 14, 2015
Got it. Thank you for a direction to try. I was hoping for a non looping solution since the file set I have to work with can be several thousand big and I would need to run this quickly when I needed it. Essentially I need to grab log files from multiple servers within x minutes of the current time and dump them into a database to look for failures when problems pop up. I got the database side ready to go I just need to be able to grab the right files when someone does a shoulder tap on me and asked, "Hey, can you look at...."

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
The loop was just for the sake of an example of getting the "minutes_old" of a file. Depending on how much you know about the possible target files you may or may not need a loop. A user-defined function could help with determining "minutes_old". Perhaps something like

Code:
function minutes_old `%@eval[(%@makeage[%_date,%_time] - %@fileage[%1]) / 600000000=1]`

Then you could do something like

Code:
if %@minutes_old[%filename] LT 10 ...

Oct 14, 2015
Thanks for the code examples. I think I have something working. Still can't see how I can avoid a loop since a custom function would need to be applied to individual files (as far as I can see). But, since the log names incorporate the date in a 2022-05-12 format I can at least target today's date with a file mask on the do statement fileset which reduces the loop to a manageable level for the file age evaluation to further cut it down to the last x minutes of the day.

Thanks again for helping me weed through it.

Apr 2, 2011
North Carolina, USA
/[d-0] modified today (from today minus zero days, to today)
[t-120,+120] modified between two hours ago and the current time on any date

so could do:

/[d-0] /[t-10]

might give preferred results

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
Well, I just learned something I never knew. In HELP DATERANGES, you'll find this little nugget:

Instead of a date, you can specify a file age for the first and/or second parameter.

So. To get the current time as an age:
Code:
set now=%@makeage[%_isodate,%_time]

And to get five minutes ago as an age:
Code:
set then=%@eval[%@makeage[%_isodate,%_time] - ( 5 * 60 * 10000000 )]

And then you can plug that right into a date range:
Code:
dir /a /[d%then]

A user-defined function to convert n minutes ago to a file age would be trivial.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
Well, I just learned something I never knew. In HELP DATERANGES, you'll find this little nugget:

So. To get the current time as an age:
Code:
set now=%@makeage[%_isodate,%_time]

And to get five minutes ago as an age:
Code:
set then=%@eval[%@makeage[%_isodate,%_time] - ( 5 * 60 * 10000000 )]

And then you can plug that right into a date range:
Code:
dir /a /[d%then]

A user-defined function to convert n minutes ago to a file age would be trivial.
That's good. I didn't mention ranges because of the problem of time ranges not going back into the previous day. That is, for example, /[t-60] doesn't work as might be desired between 00:00:00 and 00:59:59. Your method gets around that.