Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 7 test fix

The beta build 66 works with my Windows 7. Released build 67 does not.

But typing 'exit' does not close TCC - I have to click on the 'x' of the Window or Tab to close TCC.

Martin wrote:

> The beta build 66 works with my Windows 7. Released build 67 does not.

I didn't put the Windows 7 code into build 67, because nobody ever
responded about whether it was working for them with the test build.

> But typing 'exit' does not close TCC - I have to click on the 'x' of the Window or Tab to close TCC.

With build 66 (known issue) or build 67?

Rex Conn
JP Software

With the RC widely available this week is there any chance this might be re-released? I saw in another thread that the Windows 7 fix wasn't included in later releases due to lack of feedback.

I've uploaded a test build of Take Command 10.0.65 to the ftp beta area (ftp://jpsoft.com/beta/tcmd.exe). This has an experimental workaround for a Windows 7 bug when starting apps; those of you having trouble with Take Command or TCC and Windows 7 please try this build and let me know if it solves your problem.

On 2009-05-04 19:41, Magus wrote:

> With the RC widely available this week is there any chance this might be re-released? I saw in another thread that the Windows 7 fix wasn't included in later releases due to lack of feedback.

FWIW, build 67 works fine here on Windows 7, build 7100, x64. Both
TCC.exe and TCmd.exe start up fine, and seem to work correctly, as far
as I have tested.

Would install for me on a clean install of Win7 build 7100 x64. However on first run the program would hang not showing the dialog to enter registration details. However manually adding the registration details into the registry allows it to run.

On 2009-05-05 14:03, paraglider wrote:

> Would install for me on a clean install of Win7 build 7100 x64. However on first run the program would hang not showing the dialog to enter registration details. However manually adding the registration details into the registry allows it to run.

As far as I know, the registration information for Take Command 10 is stored in a file, not in the registry (except for the ASProtect stuff, if you run a trial version). Since the registration file goes in the Take Command installation directory by default, you may not be able to write it if your process is not "elevated", e.g. run with administrative privileges.

So you could try to run tcc.exe or tcmd.exe as administrator, and see if that allows you to register properly.

I am running it as an administrator. Also Everyone user has full control to the install directory and subdirectories. Problem has now returned.

I think the problem is tcc. If I run tcc directly all I see is a blinking cursor. I don't see the registration lines.

This has an experimental workaround for a Windows 7 bug when starting apps; those of you having trouble with Take Command or TCC and Windows 7 please try this build and let me know if it solves your problem.

I have tried both the test build and the release version of Take Command on Windows 7 RC, and they don't seem to work. What happens, I run it, I can see tcmd.exe in the process list, but tcc.exe is not running, I have to end the tcmd.exe process.

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> This has an experimental workaround for a Windows 7 bug when starting
> apps; those of you having trouble with Take Command or TCC and Windows 7
> please try this build and let me know if it solves your problem.
> ---End Quote---
> I have tried both the test build and the release version of Take Command
> on Windows 7 RC, and they don't seem to work. What happens, I run it, I
> can see tcmd.exe in the process list, but tcc.exe is not running, I have
> to end the tcmd.exe process.

The test build was *not* for RC1. In RC1, Microsoft broke several Windows
APIs; it's going to take a little while to find workarounds.

Rex Conn
JP Software

The test build was *not* for RC1. In RC1, Microsoft broke several Windows
APIs; it's going to take a little while to find workarounds.

Alright then, no problem, was just a fyi, guess you already knew. I think Microsoft likes keeping you busy :)