Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

windows 11

Jul
Just upgraded my system to windows 11. It was a very smooth, no glitches and everything seems to be working. However out of interest I did a ver /r to see what would result.

1632402935644.png

system info

1632403075690.png

So not quite right.

It seems it interprets the "Version" string only and not the "OS Name string" ... and the "Version" string "10.0.22000" still means Win 10 ...

What means a "ver" in "CMD"?

And what do you get from this ...

Code:
v:\> echo %@wmi[.,"Select Version from Win32_OperatingSystem"]

... and this?

Code:
v:\> echo %@word["|",0,%@wmi[.,"Select Name from Win32_OperatingSystem"]]
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

@thorntonpg - the line between winver and the image is partially hidden by the image.... Anyone else see this?

I guess it's not very important what it calls itself. Build 22000 says exactly what you have. For more indications, you might look at the properties dialog (details tab) for (\windows\system32) ntoskrnl.exe and kernel32.dll. I wouldn't be surprised if, even after the official release of 21H2, some things will say Windows 10.

That just looks like a DIR listing, probably what was in the console underneath the WINVER window.

Yes. If you right-click on the image and open it in a new tab, you'll see that the partial lines are in the image.

Well, System Info does report it correctly - BUT: uses the same incorrect value/string.
Version should be 11.0.22000 not 10...... and exactly THIS seems the problem.
So all programs which take this value/string (from registry or whatever), will report it as Windows 10.
So, 10.0 is definitely the wrong version string yet! After MS changed it, TCC will report the correct version too (highly probably).

PS: On my Windows 10, I have this at least as following in the registry:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Update\TargetingInfo\Installed\Client.OS.rs2.amd64]
"Branch"="vb_release_svc_prod1"
"PrimaryOSProduct"="1"
"Repairable"="1"
"Version"="10.0.19043.1237"

Last edited:
Guys, relax. This is just a consequence of Microsoft not changing version numbers. Nowhere is there an api that says "Windows 10" or "Windows 11." All you can get is the version number. Until Microsoft decided that they were calling 10.22000 "WIndows 11" there was no way to know it was going to happen. I'm sure next time there's an update, TCC will start calling versions above 10.22000 "Windows 11." This will work fine until Microsoft decides versions past 45000 are Windows 12,