Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 10, OOrexx does not work

Under version 14.00.9 and 14.00.6 of TCC/LE on Windows 10. OOREXX scripts are unable to call internal CMD functions. They return a 193 return code (EXE not found). Examples:
2 *-* 'ECHO . >y'
>>> "ECHO . >y"
+++ "RC(193)"
3 *-* 'dir y'
>>> "dir y"
+++ "RC(193)"
4 *-* 'del y'
>>> "del y"
+++ "RC(193)"
5 *-* 'dir y'
>>> "dir y"
+++ "RC(193)"
These commands work under windows 7 & 8.

"TCC/LE doesn't support embedded REXX. That is only in the full TCC. " - Understood. this is called by a pathext comand.

"If you are running the script using REXX.EXE then the issue is unrelated to TCC/LE" - I disagree.

"If you're using executable extension then make sure your .INI file and PATHEXT are configured properly." Which INI file? PathEXT is configured properly.

Have you tried it? Rexx works just fine except when trying to use commands normally built into the CMD processor such as dir.

I see - And TCC doesn't handle dir or del commands. Note under windows 7 and windows 8 the dir command that rexx has access to is from TCC NOT cmd.

TCC/LE cannot have any effect on how external apps execute (unless you've discovered a major flaw in the Intel / Microsoft security model!).

It's more likely that your system configuration (for example, your environment) is different in Windows 10 than it was in Windows 7/8. What is your COMSPEC set to?

Ok you are going to like this. An issue with a program management likes to use: BESClient placed a file called program in the root directory. Guess what problems that causes. Deleting that file fixed the issue.

What is interesting is the script runs under CMD but not TCC unless this file is removed.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Ok you are going to like this. An issue with a program management likes to use: BESClient placed a file called program in the root directory. Guess what problems that causes. Deleting that file fixed the issue.

What is interesting is the script runs under CMD but not TCC unless this file is removed.

So REXX is probably passing an unquoted c:\program files\... string, and TCC found an executable at c:\program. Hmm - CMD *should* have found & tried to execute that too. Not sure if this is a CMD bug or "feature" - I'll have to play around with it.

A couple of more notes. 1) the program file was a text file (basically an error message). Not an executable or folder. and 2) Rexx can call external programs just fine so must be redirecting the internal commands to the comspec variable. Come to think of it somehow I got the comspec changed to CMD at some point (under tcc environment) and got a different error# but same results (the error was #30)