Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why this screen?

Jun

In TCMD, I see the blank lines as the figure.

TCC 24.01.41 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.17763.316]
TCC Build 41 Windows 10 Build 17763
Registered to xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx

OPH- 2019-02-23 17:56

The problem was in the font. I was using the font "Anonymous" since more than 10 years without problems until few days ago.

A change to another fonts worked. Finally, I installed Anonymous Pro, similar to Anonymous and no more problems.

OPH. 2019-02-24 10:19

There are some odd things about Anonymous. It's too big for it's supposed size, and there's too much superscript & subscriptions spacing. (Both are fixed in Anonymous Pro.)

It didn't have the garbled display in earlier TCMD builds because they were erasing one line too many when redrawing. That was fixed (speeding things up) in build 41.

I found a copy here: Download Anonymous Font

Definitely something odd going on with that font. Beyond the backwards slash on the zero, I mean.

From Mr. Simonson:

Anonymous Pro is based on an earlier font, Anonymous™, which was my TrueType version of Anonymous 9, a freeware Macintosh bitmap font developed in the mid-'90s by Susan Lesch and David Lamkins. The bitmap version was intended as a more legible alternative to Monaco, the fixed-width Macintosh system font.

Anonymous Pro differs from Anonymous™ and Anonymous 9 in a few key characters. While the earlier fonts had a one-story lowercase "a" like Monaco, Anonymous Pro features a two-story lowercase "a" to help distinguish it from the "o". In the earlier fonts, the slashed zero, designed to look different than the capital "O", goes the "wrong" way compared to most fonts that have this feature. Susan and David did this intentionally to distinguish it from the slashed capital "Ø" used in some languages. Some people thought this looked odd, so I put it the "right" way, and distinguish it from the "Ø" by keeping the slash inside the character.

OPH. 2019-02-27 06:48

It has to do with the leading (lead as in the metal, not as in 'to cause to follow'). In essence, the console is expecting the font of a given height to be placed on a matching die. If you place the characters on a smaller die-height, then in ordinary print, the lines of text are closer together.

To get normal spacing with a font like this, printers insert strips of lead between the rows to space them out further.

The console application is spacing the fonts out as if the die-height matches the regular spacing, and what you see in the picture as white stripes, is where the printers would insert a line of leadding.

You sometimes see it when programs show you where there are characters vs where there is screen-blanks, because the character backgrounds are different to the blank screen. This is sometimes useful when looking for the characters at the end of a line that should not be there.

It has to do with the leading (lead as in the metal, not as in 'to cause to follow'). In essence, the console is expecting the font of a given height to be placed on a matching die. If you place the characters on a smaller die-height, then in ordinary print, the lines of text are closer together.

To get normal spacing with a font like this, printers insert strips of lead between the rows to space them out further.

The console application is spacing the fonts out as if the die-height matches the regular spacing, and what you see in the picture as white stripes, is where the printers would insert a line of leadding.

You sometimes see it when programs show you where there are characters vs where there is screen-blanks, because the character backgrounds are different to the blank screen. This is sometimes useful when looking for the characters at the end of a line that should not be there.

Oh, by this reason robocopy shown a last character as a lead underscore when it was copying a lot of files. With Anonymous Pro font there is not this lead underscore.

OPH. 2019-02-27 09:29