Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why is the exit code zero?

May
Here is the transcript of a complete TCC session:
Code:
   Sun  Dec 9, 2012   2:46:31a
SafeChars plugin v1.7.0 loaded.
TCC  14.02.38 x64   Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright 2012 JP Software Inc.  All Rights Reserved
Registered to Daniel Mathews
[Z:\]Type TestQuit.btm
@Echo Off
Quit 8
[Z:\]TestQuit
[Z:\]Echo %? %_?
0 0
[Z:\]Echo %_? %?
0 0
[Z:\]
As you can see the batch file "TestQuit.btm" does nothing more than exit with an exit code of 8. I ran TestQuit twice showing %? and %_? in both orders to absolutely prove that echoing one was not zeroing the other.

I must be really stupid or something because I'm too stupid to figure out why the exit code is always zero when the batch file does nothing more than quit with a hard-coded exit code of 8.

Code:
(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >echo quit 8 > testquit.btm

(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >testquit.btm
quit 8

(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >echo %? %_?
8 0

(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >testquit.btm
quit 8

(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >echo %_? %?
0 8

(system)  C:\...\TCMD14x64 >
Not reproducible here. Try unloading all plugins.

Thank you for looking at it, Frank, but no go. I get the same result(s) with no plugins loaded! Transcript:
Code:
[Z:\]:: For Reference
[Z:\]type TestQuit.btm
@Echo Off
Quit 8
[Z:\]Plugin /u *
[Z:\]Echo %? %_?
0 0
[Z:\]
I have to be honest here and say in my frustration: I get so tired of fighting weird problems!!!!!

I have to be honest here and say in my frustration: I get so tired of fighting weird problems!!!!!
Yes, no fun.
I just updated to the latest version TCC 14.03.52 x64, but still get the correct returncode like in my post above.

Charles, I made a posting at evidently almost the same time as Frank did, and mine has disappeared. So redoing it, the answer is that I was running a batch file specified by a "POST_EXEC" alias, and said batch file was destroying both exit codes. This has an easy workaround for the external program's exit code (%?), namely saving it on entry to the routine and restoring it (via a "Quit" command) on exit from the routine, and while it is almost certainly possible to save the internal command's exit code (%_?) on entry to the POST_EXEC routine, I know of no way to reset it at the end of that routine. The only solution that I can see, which is not completely satisfactory, is to run a batch file that is specified by a "PRE_EXEC" alias.