Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VIEW permanently in /VH mode ...?

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
May
Staff member
I used VIEW /VH on a file. Now any time I use VIEW, I get "vertical hex" mode. It seems to be stuck. Permanently! Exiting and restarting the shell doesn't release it. Even uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it. Anybody else?

I can turn it off using one of the buttons on the toolbar. Still, I don't see why this setting should be persisted; or if it is, why /TEXT doesn't cancel it.

I used VIEW /VH on a file. Now any time I use VIEW, I get "vertical hex" mode.
The VH option is sticky. Once it is set, it will persist until you explicitly clear it. Even if you don't use /VH on the command line, it will not clear your previous setting.

I can turn it off using one of the buttons on the toolbar.
Yes, that is what you are supposed to do. Alternatively, you can specify /NOVH on the command line.

Charles.

The VH option is sticky. Once it is set, it will persist until you explicitly clear it. Even if you don't use /VH on the command line, it will not clear your previous setting.

Okay.

Yes, that is what you are supposed to do. Alternatively, you can specify /NOVH on the command line.

That works; thank you.

(Rex: I guess I was misunderstanding the help file re: /TEXT. And should /NOVH be in there as well?)

I can't reproduce this unless I click on the VH icon on the toolbar (or press Alt-J). Just starting VIEW with & without /VH doesn't make it "sticky" for me.

It's always sticky for me, on two different machines; Windows 7 and XP; builds 11 and 12. All 32-bit.