Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Very odd issue with Help in 12.10.67

Rex,

I'm using TCC 12.10.67 in a console window under XP. I also use the JAWS screen reader, latest version, 12.0.1161. Everything was fine until today when I upgraded TCC from build 66 to 67. Now, after using and then exiting from Help, my TCC window looks very odd with extraneous text and no prompt.

When I first enter the Help command, the TCC window looks fine. For example,

C:\>help dir

C:\>

with the cursor immediately following the prompt. In order to actually read the help text I normally press F6 to move focus from the treeview to the help text window. As soon as I do this the TCC window looks like this:

C:\>help dir

C:\>requested level 5 1
requested level 5 2
requested level 5 1
requested level 5 2
requested level 5 1
requested level 5 2

with the cursor all the way on the left below the last line. When I exit Help, the TCC window is still in the same state. The only way I've found to get the prompt back is to press Ctrl-C.

The problem does not occur if I open the chm file by typing its name rather than typing HELP or pressing F1. It also doesn't happen when running in a TCMD tab. And finally, it doesn't happen with an older version of JAWS that I happen to have (but I don't want to go back to that version just to get around this issue). So did you make any changes that might affect the Help command in build 67?

Thanks,
Howard

The problem does not occur if I open the chm file by typing its name rather than typing HELP or pressing F1. It also doesn't happen when running in a TCMD tab. And finally, it doesn't happen with an older version of JAWS that I happen to have (but I don't want to go back to that version just to get around this issue). So did you make any changes that might affect the Help command in build 67?

I did not change anything in the help command. The help program is Microsoft's, and TCC's only involvement is to pass the name of the compiled help file (*.chm). After that TCC has no knowledge of or control over any keystrokes inside hh.exe.

Those "requested level" lines are not coming from TCC. Perhaps JAWS is inserting them -- have you talked to the JAWS developers?

Did you try this with any other *.chm files?

I spoke to the JAWS people. Unfortunately it was only a first level user support guy and he had never heard of "Requested level" messages.

I tried some more experimetns. I installed TCCLE and it behaves the same way. Not surprising. I also tried typing the folloing at the command line:
hh.exe "c:\program files\jpsoft\tcmd12\tcmd.chm"
and everything behaved properly. I tried other *.chm files and had no problem with them either. The only time I have the problem is when I use the Help command or press F1.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 3:35 PM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-2874] Re: Very odd issue with Help in 12.10.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Goldstein

I did not change anything in the help command. The help program is Microsoft's, and TCC's only involvement is to pass the name of the compiled help file (*.chm). After that TCC has no knowledge of or control over any keystrokes inside hh.exe.

Those "requested level" lines are not coming from TCC. Perhaps JAWS is inserting them -- have you talked to the JAWS developers?

Did you try this with any other *.chm files?

Rex Conn wrote:

>
> Those "requested level" lines are not coming from TCC. Perhaps JAWS is inserting them -- have you talked to the JAWS developers?

I've been thinking about this over the weekend and also managed to get someone who's running 4NT 8.0 with the same version of JAWS to try the Help command. He got exactly the same results I'm seeing. So it would appear - as you suggested - that the problem is with JAWS and not with any JP Software product. My apologies for blaming the wrong guy.

--
Howard