Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Verification re volatile variables...

Vince, yes, that will also do it. But for some (from long ago and possibly invalid! ; > ) > reason I didn't really trust the "run" key. As a small detail, I don't really want to do the "chores" if there is no command prompt started, but that is relatively minor consideration and therefore not that important. However, since I also have tested and working code that does exactly what I want in all cases, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to change it. But thank you.
I don't think CHORES.BAT will run without a command prompt. :-)

However, the command prompt in the "run" key of the registry will run!!! ; -> ) >

(Smiley faces do not work here in Firefox on this machine for whatever reason. The word "undefined" (apparently as an icon/picture since it's a single, uneditable unit!) is inserted into the text where the smiley face should be.)

However, the command prompt in the "run" key of the registry will run!!! ; -> ) >
(Smiley faces do not work here in Firefox on this machine for whatever reason. The word "undefined" (apparently as an icon/picture since it's a single, uneditable unit!) is inserted into the text where the smiley face should be.)

Did you read what I wrote? The "Run" key entry ONLY deletes the sentinel file at start-up. It does not run CHORES.BAT. That you do as you see fit.

Vince, first off I was technically correct. Your suggestion:
Code:
v:\> echo %@regquery[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Chores]
cmd.exe /c del h:\temp\ChoresSentine1

If that's not running cmd.exe at Windows startup, I have no clue what it is doing. (And yes I understand and always understood that it was only being run briefly.)

I was just trying (and evidently failing) to be humorous.

- Dan

What did you mean when you said "I don't really want to do the "chores" if there is no command prompt started"? It's irrelevant to my suggestion and if there's humor there, it's over my head.

Boy, Vince, I don't know where we're having a hard time understanding each other here. What I meant is simply "If no command prompts or TCC sessions are started then the "chores" should not be done.

Boy, Vince, I don't know where we're having a hard time understanding each other here. What I meant is simply "If no command prompts or TCC sessions are started then the "chores" should not be done.
It still makes no sense. The chores are done by a batch file. It is not possible that they be done if no command prompts or TCC sessions are started.

Boy, I still don't know where the miscommunication(s) lie. The "chores" are to be done the first time a TCC or cmd.exe session is started after a reboot, and only if a TCC or cmd.exe session is started.

Still don't understand why you said "If no command prompts or TCC sessions are started then the "chores" should not be done.". Let's leave it at that.

Do you want the chores to be done before login? (Use the Machine\Run key). Do you want them done after login? (Use the User\Run key, a BAT in the StartUp folder, or a logon script.) Then no later command prompt of any kind will have to worry about them at all. It all seems so simple (unless your needs are bizarre).

You have something that works, right? Good! Enough said on this topic.

Vince, I can't leave it alone because the concept is s simple I can't understand why we don't understand each. One last try (I promise!): If no explicit command prompt is started (by me! Not by some random "system process"!) after a reboot, then the "chores" should not be done, otherwise they should be done once and only once.

Why wait until you explicitly start a session? With that strategy, every session you later start will have to waste time performing some check. It's a nice feature of Windows that you can make things happen automatically.

Thank you, Vince. Now it's clear as to what assumptions you were working from vs. what I was wanting to do and therefore where the misunderstandings lay. The "chore"'s can take a more than just a noticeable amount of time to complete; and not only that, there's one of them I definitely don't want done at all if no command prompt is started. There's nothing more to it than that. (I'm not going into what the "chores" are because they are all related in some way to one or more of my disabilities and would make no sense at all to a person without my disabilities; and I really don't want to argue with anyone about them, they work for me.)