Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vBulletin upgrade and email integration

Status
Not open for further replies.
On 12/3/2011 4:55 PM, rconn wrote:

> ---Quote---
>> How about WebCrossings?
> ---End Quote---
> Well, it's not as bad as Jive -- it's only $195. A month. To start. For a minimal setup.

There's also a purchased license, although it's a fair chunk more.
Depends what the odds are that the current whin^H^H^H^Hcontributors here
will leave, and what it will cost you in your time or salary for a
support staff to replace 'em.

> I presume that, like Steve, you don't care about preserving any of the
> existing 25,000 messages?

Not really. They can stay online where they are for archival purposes,
either in their current format or they can be converted to a static HTML
format and searched via Google.

Of course, you could always look at conversion options. Such things are
sometimes possible (and by that, I mean that at a previous $DAYJOB where
we used WebCrossings, we imported our existing history in)

At the end of the day, I'm happy to be able to read via threaded email.
If I can keep that, I don't really mind using a web interface to post.

--
Dave Warren, CEO
Hire A Hit Consulting Services
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/davejwarren

On 12/3/2011 8:02 PM, rconn wrote:

> NNTP, a 20-year-old technology abandoned by the rest of the Internet.

Says the man who develops a DOS-style command line tool. That's not
intended to be negative comment, just an interesting perspective.

Lets face it, if we wanted the shiny new (arguably inefficient) stuff,
we'd be looking at PowerShell.

--
Dave Warren, CEO

My reason for lack of RSS interest is that my first preference is for
email. If that goes away, I'll read the RSS feed. I'm very unlikely to go
visit a web-site based forum.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 07:15, rconn <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by thedave)---
> At the end of the day, I'm happy to be able to read via threaded email.
> If I can keep that, I don't really mind using a web interface to post.
> ---End Quote---
> The forums have had an RSS feed for several years, though nobody's ever
> shown any interest in it.

--
Jim Cook
2011 Monday: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Wednesday.

I didn't know that existed. If it will remain, how can I use it.

On 12/04/2011 10:15 AM, rconn wrote:

> ---End Quote---
> The forums have had an RSS feed for several years, though nobody's ever shown any interest in it.
>
>
>
>
>

The forums have had an RSS feed for several years, though nobody's ever shown any interest in it.

I love RSS and use it extensively, but when I've subscribed, I only see the initial posts and no followups.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a feed that shows all posts to the forums as well as followup?

Michael

| Originally Posted by rconn
|| The forums have had an RSS feed for several years, though nobody's
|| ever shown any interest in it.
|
| I love RSS and use it extensively, but when I've subscribed, I only
| see the initial posts and no followups.
|
| Am I doing something wrong? Is there a feed that shows all posts to
| the forums as well as followup?

And the same issue with the Feedback forum. All I see is my own posts and comments about them. I hate searching! It makes me think I lost something!
--
Steve

And the same issue with the Feedback forum. All I see is my own posts and comments about them. I hate searching! It makes me think I lost something!

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

If I click on the "feedback" tab, I see the headers for the 8 most recent posts. If I then click on "browse ideas" (top left, first line) I see everybody's suggestions and comments.

What are you seeing?

On 12/4/2011 8:15 AM, rconn wrote:

> ---End Quote---
> The forums have had an RSS feed for several years, though nobody's ever shown any interest in it.

IIRC I tried it, it only shows when a topic is created but not further
discussion on that topic (and if it does somewhere else, which is
possible, does it thread discussions together to make it possible to
follow a topic?)

I'm usually a big fan of RSS, I have literally hundreds of feeds I
follow, but until it has threading it's not an ideal replacement for
threaded discussions.

--
Dave Warren, CEO

Vbulletin has always supported email notification of replies to your own
threads, and optionally email notifications of all new messages. You have
to subscribe to the latter; most people really don't want to get a few dozen
extra emails about topics they're not interested in.
That is the way I've been using this forum since its inception. It works well, and limits my email traffic to just the topics I'm interested in. Then I visit the web interface every couple of days to see what's new overall (there's a 'show new posts' link which requires logging in).
I expect the forum sw upgrade to provide a better web experience, so I'm happy with this forced change.
One advantage I see is that more users, if not all users, will take notice of edited posts, since they will be reading all posts from the web interface.
P.S. I like the new look of the 'feedback' button - the old one was almost invisible to me. I suppose UserVoice themselves did the styling.

Since they've never done it before, I suspect there's about a 0% chance of
them deciding to do it now. I doubt they'd have a great interest in
packaging everything up, documenting it, and supporting it for a grand total
of one user for $175 (which is what vBulletin costs).

However, since you suggested it, I presume this means you don't care about
preserving the existing message archives when upgrading the forums? (That
certainly wouldn't be possible when switching to a completely different
package.)

Well... you could bridge them through NNTP, couldn't you? }:->

I was viewing the feedback RSS feed, and entering the feedback forum by clicking on a field. But now I am really stuck, I cannot find the Forum page where I can sign up for email or RSS feed of new posts. Is that dead?

Is there an "personal options" page for the Forum anywhere? My day has 24 hours, it is not broken in two. I use ISO date format. Windows understands that, TCMD and TCC do as well - so why cannot support forum do it?

Vbulletin has always supported email notification of replies to your own
threads, and optionally email notifications of all new messages. You have
to subscribe to the latter; most people really don't want to get a few dozen
extra emails about topics they're not interested in.

I used to get *every* *full* article in my subscribed forums by email. Is that still possible? I'm getting nearly nothing now.

I used to get *every* *full* article in my subscribed forums by email. Is that still possible? I'm getting nearly nothing now.

I already covered this in another posting a couple of days ago. The "Watch Forums" email option will currently only get the post titles (the RSS feeds will get everything). The email notifications will be getting full text too, but that is pending an update for the notification mod (hopefully in the next few days).

Is there an "personal options" page for the Forum anywhere? My day has 24 hours, it is not broken in two. I use ISO date format. Windows understands that, TCMD and TCC do as well - so why cannot support forum do it?

It never did before (with vBulletin). You can click on your name (upper right) to see the options that you can set.

Changing the date/time format requires editing several dozen templates, and would affect everybody. (IIRC, you were the last holdout against my changing DIR several years ago to use ISO date format!)

I was viewing the feedback RSS feed, and entering the feedback forum by clicking on a field. But now I am really stuck, I cannot find the Forum page where I can sign up for email or RSS feed of new posts. Is that dead?

Every forum has an RSS feed; just click on the RSS icon on the main page. The global RSS feed is at the bottom of the page, right side.

You can sign up for email notification on the individual Forum pages by clicking on "Watch Forum".

Every forum has an RSS feed; just click on the RSS icon on the main page. The global RSS feed is at the bottom of the page, right side.

You can sign up for email notification on the individual Forum pages by clicking on "Watch Forum".

RSS only gives subject lines, right?
Will "watch forum" give me *all* *full* articles?

Is it possible to view a thread sorted most recent post first?

Changing the date/time format requires editing several dozen templates, and would affect everybody. (IIRC, you were the last holdout against my changing DIR several years ago to use ISO date format!)
Many forums allow user option of date and time display format; some automatically use the platform (e.g. Windows registry) format. IIRC I was not objecting to ISO date format (I always used year-month-day and 24-hr when available; I have files nearly 20 years old containing dates in that manner), I wanted backward compatibility, i.e., make ISO an additional option, not a replacement.

Many forums allow user option of date and time display format; some automatically use the platform (e.g. Windows registry) format. IIRC I was not objecting to ISO date format (I always used year-month-day and 24-hr when available; I have files nearly 20 years old containing dates in that manner), I wanted backward compatibility, i.e., make ISO an additional option, not a replacement.

If by "many forums" you mean "many forums except for vBulletin and XenForo", then I'll take your word for it. (Though I don't know what forums those might be.)

Status
Not open for further replies.