Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Various Sites with Free Utilities

Oct
Note: For everyone's convenience, as other folks make suggestions I'll add them HERE.

Just a list of various sites with free utilities. No particular order:
Except for Ninite, I'm only going to list here sites that are providing their own software, not "aggregators" who just have other folks' software. But feel free to add those. Also, I'm not going to add the ones that pretty much any programmer would know, such as Open Shell, Libre Office, GitHub, etc.

Please be aware that some of these, e.g., some from NirSoft, do use some hacker tools. So some of them will get picked up as possible malware by scanning software.

------------------------------------------
VetusWare has abandoned software, mainly DOS or 16-bit Windows.

------------------------------------------
Re EaseUS: Their main product is Todo Backup. I have run into numerous serious problems with their backup software, both the home and server versions, as described in a reply. No problems with their other utilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re EaseUS: Their main product is Todo Backup. I have run into numerous serious problems with their backup software, both the home and server versions!

* At one point something happened that we lost around 10k files on our server. When we ran Todo restore it repeatedly told us the path names were too long. We would have had to go into a subfolder on the backup copy, restore from there to something like D:\a\, then move that to the server, and repeat for the next subfolder. We estimated that would be about a week of manual work.

* We had several times where the server backup software stopped backing up and didn't give any warning.

* We had several times where when I checked the server backup software it said we needed to enter the license number to activate, even though that had already been done when the software was installed.

* After these I uninstalled my home Todo and went back to Acronis free. Eventually my PC crashed. When I tried Acronis full-disk restore, when the PC rebooted after the recovery it would repeatedly crash. I tried doing that same recovery on 2 different PC's and those started repeatedly crashing. I bought a new SSD and tried the Acronis recovery and the PC's still crashed. It turned out the cause was that on each of them when Todo Home was removed it left one DLL buried somewhere else. When I deleted that on the various PC's they worked again!

Last edited:
Might I also suggest the Windows System Control Center
WSCC allows you to install, update, execute and organize the utilities from various system utility suites. WSCC can install and update the supported utilities automatically. Alternatively, WSCC can use the http protocol to download and run the programs. The portable edition doesn't require installation and can be run directly from a USB drive.

Joe

Note: For everyone's convenience, as other folks make suggestions I'll add them here.

I'd add
Although Alternative To isn't a site that hosts freeware, it's a great resource that lists freeware alternatives to software. Ask for an alternative to the Windows Command Prompt, for example, and it lists TCC/LE as one of the "Freemium" alternatives.

Re EaseUS: Their main product is Todo Backup. I have run into numerous serious problems with their backup software, both the home and server versions, as described in a reply. No problems with their other utilities.

For image backups, I've been using the free edition of Macrium Reflect, and for incremental backups, the free version of SyncBack for years. Both have command line interfaces (once you set up the configuration files), so they are scriptable, and Take Command can maintain the backup rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
WSCC does not really allow you to organise the utilities, or add them, even on the registered version. It always wants to install into the \wscc directory, so i copy it to where it ought be.

If you want to do this, download the Nirsoft package NirLauncher - Collection of more than 200 portable utilities from NirSoft With your own groups, you can poke in proggies. So i have a "Piriform" package, which includes all of the piriform utilities, as well as devmgr (reactos), unknown devices, SIV, and windows access panel.

You can then poke it into the OpenShell menu under control, abd they're all in easy reach.

It won't create new groups for you, but you can simply copy an existing group outside the program, and populate it with your own utilities.

Back