Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v24 Alt + F5 sets focus to ribbon

Aug
I was refreshing myself on the editing keys when I came across two of which I was unaware: F5 and Alt + F5 which open file and folder browsing dialogs respectively. F5 works reliably and will be a help. Alt + F5 does not invoke the expected folder-browsing dialog but rather sets focus to the ribbon. I've checked the keyboard bindings and found it's configured correctly. Is there some way to get this working? I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 if that matters. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've already twiddled the registry to get other keyboard shortcuts working (e.g., the infamous Ctrl + End problem), but that doesn't seem to help in this case.

Not reproducible here; Alt-F5 invokes the folder dialog as expected. There is no key in TCMD that sets focus to the ribbon. Not sure what you're doing with twiddling the registry ...

Do you have any key aliases? Any keystroke plugins?

Also, check the Customize dialog (down arrow on title bar, select "More Commands") to see that you haven't used Alt-F5 for a menu shortcut.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I did with the registry was alter two settings under HKCU\Console
as described here which make selection, control-key shortcuts, etc. work properly at the command line. Without those two changes, Ctrl + Home, Ctrl + End, keyboard selection, etc. do not work properly.

As to aliases, yes, lots. If you're specifically asking about keyboard assignments I have only one: "@@Alt-F4=exit". I defined that years ago to make TakeCommand exit like every other Windows app. For all I know it isn't even necessary anymore, but that's the only keyboard assignment I have in my aliases. All the rest are pretty simple command expansion.

I don't even know what "keystroke plugins" are, so I'd like to think I don't have any. If you can educate me, I can poke around and see.

I find if I get rid of all my customizations (all done through Tcstart.btm), the problem still remains. I'm surprised you cannot reproduce it.

I don't even know what "keystroke plugins" are, so I'd like to think I don't have any.
TCC plugins which intercept keystrokes. PLUGIN will list any plugins you currently have loaded, and unless you're running a really old version of TCC, PLUGIN /K will show which of those have installed a key hook.

TCC plugins which intercept keystrokes. PLUGIN will list any plugins you currently have loaded, and unless you're running a really old version of TCC, PLUGIN /K will show which of those have installed a key hook.

Thanks for educating me on that point! I learn something new about this software every time I post. For the record, I do not have any keystroke plugins as the following output shows:

Code:
C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD24> plugin /k
TCC: No plugins loaded

What do you mean by "sets focus to the ribbon"? Do you mean that a normally minimized ribbon becomes shown or that an already showing ribbon takes focus away from the tab? It doesn't seem like the ribbon (per se) can have focus ... two things on the ribbon can, however, ... the "Filter" box and the "Folder" box.

What do you mean by "sets focus to the ribbon"? Do you mean that a normally minimized ribbon becomes shown or that an already showing ribbon takes focus away from the tab? It doesn't seem like the ribbon (per se) can have focus ... two things on the ribbon can, however, ... the "Filter" box and the "Folder" box.

I mean that the ribbon, which was already visible, "gets the focus" in the sense that any further keyboard input goes to it rather than the command line. In other words, when I launch TakeCommand I can normally type at the command line. But if I hit Alt + F5, then the "focus" is set to the ribbon so that any further characters I type give me the "ding" sound, invoke something on the ribbon, etc. Hitting the arrow keys at that point, for example, will switch tabs on the ribbon. I have to hit escape to return the "focus" to the command line to keep typing there.

I mean that the ribbon, which was already visible, "gets the focus" in the sense that any further keyboard input goes to it rather than the command line. In other words, when I launch TakeCommand I can normally type at the command line. But if I hit Alt + F5, then the "focus" is set to the ribbon so that any further characters I type give me the "ding" sound, invoke something on the ribbon, etc. Hitting the arrow keys at that point, for example, will switch tabs on the ribbon. I have to hit escape to return the "focus" to the command line to keep typing there.
That's the behavior I get from Alt alone. Are you pressing Alt and F5 at the same time?

That's the behavior I get from Alt alone. Are you pressing Alt and F5 at the same time?

As close to "the same time" as any human fingers can accomplish, yes. If I get rid of the ribbon (i.e., minimize it), then hitting Alt + F5 moves the focus to the "quick icons" in the title bar. I can't believe this works correctly for anyone. It seems like a Windows-overrides-your-preferences thing.

Incidentally, if I change the key mapping to something else, Ctrl + F5 for example, that works just fine as long as I restart Take Command after making the change.

What does Alt-F5 do in a stand-alone TCC console (no TCMD)?

Nothing at all. Interestingly enough, I find even though the version command reports 24.00.24, the shortcut created by the installation process is labelled "TCC 23" which is also what appears in the title bar. How odd.