Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Update removes pinned shortcut?

May
I have TCC pinned to my taskbar. Sometimes (as today) updating removes the pinned shortcut; sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know when/why this happens? It never happened with v15.

One could google "pinned shortcuts disappeared" or similar....

I have TCC pinned to my taskbar. Sometimes (as today) updating removes the pinned shortcut; sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know when/why this happens? It never happened with v15.

I think it's just one of those unexplained oddities that Windows excels at. It's come up in the forum before, not least when you reported it happening in V15

http://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/must-update-remove-my-taskbar-pinned-shortcut.4890/

I used to see it myself, but I haven't for a while. Rex said he didn't change anything (because there's nothing he could change, the installer isn't allowed to create pinned shortcuts), and I'm not aware that I changed anything, so it seems to be one of the (many) little irritations that come with using Windows.

Dan

Last edited:
Vince - have you looked at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...hortcuts/a790f38f-d199-44b8-9a47-ac637e0905f6

the post by solution_provider replied on July 12, 2010
icon_down.png

Do a forum search for "pinned shortcut". This has been discussed before in at least 2 other threads dating back about a year.

I went back and read most of those old threads and found no answer. There have been long periods (as observed by others) when upgrades did not remove pinned TCC shortcuts and now they're being removed. What controls whether or not they're removed?

Where is the shortcut that you're pinning?
It doesn't seem to matter. I can drag g:\tc16\tcc.exe, or g:\tc16\tcc.lnk, or g:\uty\shortcuts\tcc.lnk to the taskbar and they all wind up creating the same (apparently) "c:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\TCC.lnk" and it's that file that has been deleted by the last few updates.

It doesn't seem to matter. I can drag g:\tc16\tcc.exe, or g:\tc16\tcc.lnk, or g:\uty\shortcuts\tcc.lnk to the taskbar and they all wind up creating the same (apparently) "c:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\TCC.lnk" and it's that file that has been deleted by the last few updates.

Hmmm. I just put a shortcut down in %APPDATA and pinned that, then updated via OPTION /U. My pinned shortcut is still there and functioning. Maybe just more Windows nondeterministic behavior.

I did have to run the update not once, not twice, but three times. Got the "invisible installer window" twice in a row. Annoying....

Well, I'm trying something new. In "...\UserPinned" I put a symlink:
Code:
tcc.lnk [u:\Shortcuts\TCC.lnk]
I'll have to wait for the next update to see if it's deleted. For now, it offers a slightly different behavior. The pinned icon itself DOES NOT become the app's icon. A TCC started from the pinned icon gets its own icon. Clicking on the pinned one again gives a second (third ...) instance of TCC and the app icon (not the pinned one) is the one that's doubled/tripled ... up.

Well, I'm trying something new. In "...\UserPinned" I put a symlink:
Code:
tcc.lnk [u:\Shortcuts\TCC.lnk]
I'll have to wait for the next update to see if it's deleted. For now, it offers a slightly different behavior. The pinned icon itself DOES NOT become the app's icon. A TCC started from the pinned icon gets its own icon. Clicking on the pinned one again gives a second (third ...) instance of TCC and the app icon (not the pinned one) is the one that's doubled/tripled ... up.
Well, that didn't last long. After logoff/logon, the pinned icon was gone (though the symlink was still in UserPinned).

Wild guess.

Maybe it's a timing issue. Windows notices that the file that the shortcut refers to is gone (before the updated version has been put in place to replace it) and removes the shortcut.

Maybe it's a timing issue. Windows notices that the file that the shortcut refers to is gone (before the updated version has been put in place to replace it) and removes the shortcut.
Do you mean some aspect of Windows other than the installer? I doubt it. If I move, rename, or delete TCC.EXE the icon is untouched. If I then try to use the pinned shortcut, Windows says the target is missing and suggests reinstalling, but doesn't (even offer to) remove the shortcut.

Do you mean some aspect of Windows other than the installer? I doubt it. If I move, rename, or delete TCC.EXE the icon is untouched. If I then try to use the pinned shortcut, Windows says the target is missing and suggests reinstalling, but doesn't (even offer to) remove the shortcut.
The idea of nikbackm might be good. There are some situations in which windows chooses to change some settings, for example see the article at "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980". This might not apply to Your case, but it is to give an idea.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti