Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Update FFIND in Help File with example for ORing expressions to search for

Aug
Thanks to @RogerB and @vefatica for the solution to "Multiple Text Searches at once using FFIND"

I would like to suggest the example that @vefatica gave;
Code:
v:\> systeminfo | FFIND /k /m /v /E"^OS Name|^OS Version"
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
OS Version:                10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

...be added to the Help file for the FFIND Command under /E"text".

Joe

That's RE syntax, not FFIND's syntax.
While I see benefit, if a guide to regex syntax should be added, it needs its own article. IMHO.

A guide is already there (v24) ...

For example: after you klick on "/E"xx" (regular expression)" on the FFIND Help page, klick on "regular expression" link in the first line and you will see the guide for the Ruby variant with a link to the Perl variant.

Or also: type "reference" in the search field of Help and choose the related title (first in v24) ...

A guide is already there (v24) ...

For example: after you klick on "/E"xx" (regular expression)" on the FFIND Help page, klick on "regular expression" link in the first line and you will see the guide for the Ruby variant with a link to the Perl variant.
The help's link to PERLRE.HTML doesn't work well. It takes you to the Perldoc home page, where it is not obvious how to get to PERLRE.HTML. This link works better: perlre - perldoc.perl.org

The Ruby guide in TCC's help simply says "| alternation" with no examples (or even an explanation of what that means). In the Perldocs,'|' is one of a handful of metacharacters and there are examples of it's use.

A short summary I write regularly is a good compromise. It's just about 20 lines long and covers 99% of daily needs.