Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unidentifiable output

May
Win XP Pro SP3 and TCC 14.02.41 in a Take Command window.

While I wasn't looking at the window, about 45 lines of output occurred without my entering a command. It looked like this:
Code:
C:\work> OS Determining best projection for type int (size:  4 ) signed
OS Projected as a regular number
OS Determining best projection for type unsigned_int (size:  4 ) unsigned
OS Determining best projection for type long (size:  4 ) signed
OS Determining best projection for type int (size:  4 ) signed

Is this coming from TCC or TC? I've never seen this before.

You're starting Firefox from the command line, aren't you?

Recent versions of Firefox have been doing increasingly weird things to the console window.

Hi,
Yepper, coming from FireFox. Here is how I work around it;

Code:
cmd /c start http://mail.yahoo.com

Substitute the web site of your choice.

If I do not start Firefox this way, and do a ctrl-c to stop the console output, it closes FireFox.

I suppose for us registered users, we could just;

Code:
start http://mail.yahoo.com &

to launch the site in detached mode, but for people using TCC/LE, they do not have the DETACH command.

Joe

Why not just
Code:
http://mail.yahoo.com
That's how I start URLs from the command line.

Why not just
Code:
http://mail.yahoo.com
That's how I start URLs from the command line.

Yes, but if you start it that way, the FireFox log will appear on the console. If you press ctrl-c to stop the log, it will terminate FireFox.

If you are referring to my use of START, that is a habit of mine.

Joe

Yes, but if you start it that way, the FireFox log will appear on the console. If you press ctrl-c to stop the log, it will terminate FireFox.

If you are referring to my use of START, that is a habit of mine.

Joe
I have never seen FireFox do that here (I'm not using START).

I have never seen FireFox do that here (I'm not using START).

What version of FireFox are you using? It does this with the 16.0.1 that I am using.

I might add that I am running XP SP3.

Joe

Another recent Firefox misbehavior: If you start Firefox from TCC (or CMD.EXE), then as long as that instance of Firefox remains open, EXIT may not close the console window.

Another recent Firefox misbehavior: If you start Firefox from TCC (or CMD.EXE), then as long as that instance of Firefox remains open, EXIT may not close the console window.
Charles, do you see that on Win7?

Thanks to all for all your responses. Yes, indeed, Charles, I did start Firefox from TCC. Thanks for the work-around, Joe. Rex, right from the beginning, I presumed that it was not TCC, but this forum seemed like the only reasonable place to ask, since it showed up in a TCC window.

Charles, do you see that on Win7?

I haven't actually been using Firefox on my Windows 7 machine, but I just installed the current version. And yes, it misbehaves. (I don't think Microsoft has changed much if anything in the console API.)

I haven't actually been using Firefox on my Windows 7 machine, but I just installed the current version. And yes, it misbehaves. (I don't think Microsoft has changed much if anything in the console API.)
I'd like to see it. Is there a sure-fire way to get it to misbehave?

I noticed this (which I find quite odd).
Code:
l:\firefox> dumpbin /imports xul.dll | grep Console
                  17 AttachConsole
                  10 AllocConsole

l:\firefox> dumpbin /imports breakpadinjector.dll | grep Console
                  19A GetConsoleCP
                  1AC GetConsoleMode
                  524 WriteConsoleW

I currently use Firefox 16.0.1, including creation of this post. It is normally started from a link executed from a hidden, temporary TCC window during login into WinXP SP3 home. Not seen the above, but window is closed before login is completed.

I'm running Win 7 64-bit and I've never seen anything in my console window related to Firefox. I only call Firefox 2 ways (other than clicking on the icon): (1) by entering a url on the command line, or (2) calling it using the an alias called "fox" which uses START /PGM.

In both cases the window is released, as it should be because the wait option is unchecked. If the wait option is checked then closing the window would also close Firefox.