Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Unable to access help

May
After upgrading to Window 10, when I start TCMD 17.00.77 x64, pressing F1, or entering the command
HELP (with or without arguments), brings up the help application, but with error
Code:
Unable to download.

Unable to open this internet site.  The requested site is
either unavailable or cannot be found.  Please try
again later.

TCMD.INI has WebHelp=No

The resulting help window has no content.

Both WebHelp options are set to No, and /N has no different effect with regards to the help issue.

I can still get help by invoking the .CHM file directly (and correctly) from a desktop shortcut, but that means I have to navigate explicitly
to the topic I want. I'm not considering this urgent, but would of course like a fix.

Yup, it sounds like the same issue. Until I upgrade to the newest version of TCMD, I'll just live with it.

The problem I reported was in a TCC process which started life as a tab in TCMD, but the TCMD crashed. (See my other post about that.)
Now that I've got TCMD working again without crashing, TCC invokes its help correctly! Weird.

The problem I reported was in a TCC process which started life as a tab in TCMD, but the TCMD crashed. (See my other post about that.)
Now that I've got TCMD working again without crashing, TCC invokes its help correctly! Weird.

To be precise, a third-party plugin crashed, not TCMD.

But it is peculiar about the help -- I suspect that TCC still thought that it was in a tab window and it was trying to get TCMD to display the help. (TCC only displays the help if it's running in a stand-alone console window; otherwise it's TCMD's responsibility.)

Okay. At the time I wrote the second previous note, I was still thinking it was TCMD that crashed.

But this note string is about HELP not working correctly. In a TCC instance which is not in a tab in TCMD, the help works incorrectly as I've noted above. It doesn't matter whether the TCC process was started as a tab and detached, or started directly from a desktop icon. In a TCC process running in a TCMD tab, help works correctly. I still think it's a bug. And it happens whether the TCC is elevated or not.

I still think it's a bug. And it happens whether the TCC is elevated or not.

I agree it's a bug, but it's not a TCC bug, it's a Windows bug. Microsoft has known about it for more than a year and hasn't been interested in fixing it. (Presumably part of their dropping support for CHM help files.)

TCMD & TCC v19 & 20 were kludged to work around the bug; I don't have plans to make the (extensive) mods for v17.

Thanks for the explanation, Rex. I will upgrade to a more recent version soon, but first I want to resolve as many problems induced by my upgrading to Windows 10 as possible. (And I'm seriously thinking of reverting to Windows 7.)