Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UIstuff.dll enhancements: SCREENRES command

May
- When display change fails, report displays "Display changed failed:..." Suggest whole report line be shortened to:
"Display not changed - unsupported mode requested."
- Whether or not change succeeds, verbose report is occasionally nice to have. Suggest adding /V[erbose] option, effective only when a change is requested. The verbose report could look like one of these:
Display changed to #### x #### (#) at ...
Display not changed to #### x #### (#) at .... - unsupported mode
This last format is useful if one wants to loop through potential modes which are supported by the video adapter but may not be supported by the monitor.

- Reporting format: I like tabular reports where data line up vertically; this would require width, height, color depth and refresh rate to be reported in fixed width for the /L mode. You could drop the parentheses around color depth, and include just the actual refresh frequency in Hz (without including the unit symbol) or the word "default" (I use the . period character below to indicate blanks):
In a monospace font the above would line up perfectly...

This newsgroup interface is GUI, if there is no menu entry for [ code ], I don't use it. Why bother with a GUI when its features are only for those who know it? It would be readily available if it were intended to be used.

I've put up a new build, giving you some of what you asked for, and some stuff you didn't (mostly tweaks for QRes compatibility).

- When display change fails, report displays "Display changed failed:..." Suggest whole report line be shortened to: "Display not changed - unsupported mode requested."

Many of my error messages work that way. The part before the colon is a general description; the part after it gives further information, in this case the return value from ChangeDisplaySettingsEx(). I'm keeping the colon.

- Whether or not change succeeds, verbose report is occasionally nice to have. Suggest adding /V[erbose] option, effective only when a change is requested. The verbose report could look like one of these:
Display changed to #### x #### (#) at ...
Display not changed to #### x #### (#) at .... - unsupported mode
This last format is useful if one wants to loop through potential modes which are supported by the video adapter but may not be supported by the monitor.

I've added a /V, undocumented because I don't love it. /V only affects error messages; the success message already describes the new video mode.

- Reporting format: I like tabular reports where data line up vertically; this would require width, height, color depth and refresh rate to be reported in fixed width for the /L mode. You could drop the parentheses around color depth, and include just the actual refresh frequency in Hz (without including the unit symbol) or the word "default" (I use the . period character below to indicate blanks):
In a monospace font the above would line up perfectly...

Okay, the /L report will now line up nicely provided the values don't get too wild. (This change affects other output too, since the same routine is called from several places.)

This newsgroup interface is GUI, if there is no menu entry for [ code ], I don't use it. Why bother with a GUI when its features are only for those who know it? It would be readily available if it were intended to be used.
It's there; just very hard to see. For some reason, it's white on a light gray background. How's that for wonderful usability design?
Clipboard01.png

I've never seen any part of your image in the forum. Unlike WORD, OpenOffice, Joomla, etc., that toolbar is not displayed here, nor any indication that such exists. I've no idea how to cause the font, etc. display to be available.

I've no idea how to cause the font, etc. display to be available.
I'm using the Rich Text Editor feature that is part of the forum. You can enable it in your preferences. If you just want a list of codes, go here for a full list (you can also get there by selecting the Help link at the top of the forum page and selecting BB Codes).

Not here. The brackets are white with both the latest FireFox and Win7's built-in IE.

And it looks fine on Mosquito, using Google Chrome. What am I doing differently from everyone else?

Aha... The skin! Am I the only person using "Default Style" instead of "BP-White"?

And it looks fine on Mosquito, using Google Chrome. What am I doing differently from everyone else?

Aha... The skin! Am I the only person using "Default Style" instead of "BP-White"?
I don't recall ever choosing a skin. Now, having switched to "Default Style", it looks better.

Looks like I'll have to just remember that the icon is there. I don't like Default Style.