Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UIstuff desiderata

May
The commands MKSC, SCREENRES and SCRNSAVER can either provide a report, or create/modify links or conditions. However, each command's reporting syntax is very different from its creation/modification syntax. It would be useful if for each command a reporting format could be made available that can be used (parsed) for creation / modification. What I would love to see is an equivalent of the /R option of ALIAS, FUNCTION and SET - this would be very useful for en block editing when migrating to a new platform, or reorganizing your directory hierarchy, or connecting a different monitor.

Corollaries:
1/ SCREENRES when just reporting current mode should have an option to report display mode only (no hardware data).
2/ SCREENRES and SCRNSAVER should have the /F:fields option of MKSC in reporting mode.

Curiosity:
My laptop is old enough to still have a docking station (before manufacturers were to cheap to provide a connector), which has inter alia a monitor with higher resolution than the internal monitor. When the laptop is open and the internal monitor active, MKSC /L reports the available modes of the internal monitor (even when the external one is also active); when closed, the external monitor, but in either case it reports the active monitor as number 0; hardware report for either is "Plug and Play Monitor". When the internal one is active, there does not seem to be a means of directly accessing the external one. BTW, I do not want the two monitors to represent different areas of a larger screen.

The commands MKSC, SCREENRES and SCRNSAVER can either provide a report, or create/modify links or conditions. However, each command's reporting syntax is very different from its creation/modification syntax. It would be useful if for each command a reporting format could be made available that can be used (parsed) for creation / modification. What I would love to see is an equivalent of the /R option of ALIAS, FUNCTION and SET - this would be very useful for en block editing when migrating to a new platform, or reorganizing your directory hierarchy, or connecting a different monitor.

I'll have to think about this stuff for a while. Adding a new, less human-friendly reporting format probably wouldn't be too difficult. Slurping new settings from a file might be less trivial.

Back