Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tray min'd TCMD and ACTIVATE

May
I have TCMD set to minimize to the tray. When I minimize it with the "_" button, its tray icon appears and its taskbar icon goes away. I figure that's what's supposed to happen. But if I minimize it with ACTIVATE "TC 28*" min, its tray icon appears and its taskbar icon does not go away. What's going on there?

(This code hasn't changed for several years.)

You're not using the appropriate command and/or options. What you should be doing is one of these:

WINDOW min
WINDOW tray
ACTIVATE tray

If you do an "ACTIVATE MIN" you're relying on Windows knowing that TCMD wants to minimize to the tray, and that Windows knows how to handle the minimization & tray (which it doesn't). If you use WINDOW then TCC passes the command to TCMD to handle.

But what about other apps that minimize to the tray? For example, OUTLOOK.EXE. These three all cause OUTLOOK to minimize (to the tray) and hide its taskbar icon.

Code:
v:\> echo WM_SYSCOMMAND/SC_MINIMIZE ... %@winapi[user32.dll,SendMessage,263234,274,61472]
WM_SYSCOMMAND/SC_MINIMIZE ... 0

v:\> echo SW_MINIMIZE ... %@winapi[user32.dll,ShowWindow,263234,6]
SW_MINIMIZE ... 24

v:\> echo WM_SIZE/SIZE_MINIMIZED ... %@winapi[user32.dll,SendMessage,263234,5,1]
WM_SIZE/SIZE_MINIMIZED ... 0

Whereas this one causes OUTLOOK to minimize (to the tray) BUT NOT hide its taskbar icon.

Code:
activate "inbox*" min

What's ACTIVATE doing if it's not using one of those three methods?

Why don't you want to use the ACTIVATE TRAY option when you want to minimize to the tra
When set to minimize to the tray, Outlook's icon is always in the tray. When it's restored, it also has a taskbar icon. ACTIVATE TRAY puts a second Outlook icon in the tray.

The actual Outlook setting is "Hide when minimized". When I use ACTIVATE, it doesn't know it was minimized. In post #3, I gave three pretty straightforward ways to minimize it; for each of them, Outlook knows it was minimized (and hides its taskbar icon).