Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TIMER command

May
The help says (with the word "to" missing)
Code:
You can optionally specify a command for TIMER run. This is the equivalent of "timer on & command & timer off".
It's not quite that simple. If the command contains a pipe or redirection, then TIMER's output is piped or redirected, even if a command group is used.
Code:
v:\> timer ( echo foo > foo.txt )

v:\> type foo.txt
Timer 1 on: 12:17:15
foo
Timer 1 off: 12:17:15  Elapsed: 0:00:00.00
And it would seem that the handling of a command group after TIMER leaves something to be desired.
Code:
v:\> ( echo foo | grep foo )
foo

v:\> timer ( echo foo | grep foo )
grep: error: Cannot read file )
^C

Backticks help.
Code:
v:\> timer `echo foo > foo.txt`
Timer 1 on: 12:28:04
Timer 1 off: 12:28:04  Elapsed: 0:00:00.00

v:\> type foo.txt
foo
If that's the way it should be then the help should make it utterly clear.

It's not quite that simple. If the command contains a pipe or redirection, then TIMER's output is piped or redirected, even if a command group is used.

That's not a command group; that's an argument to a command that happens to include some meaningless parentheses and output redirection. If you want to have it treated like a command group, you have to protect the entire argument string with back quotes.

Only the conditional commands (DO, IF, IFF, and FOR) accept trailing command group arguments.

That's not a command group; that's an argument to a command that happens to include some meaningless parentheses and output redirection. If you want to have it treated like a command group, you have to protect the entire argument string with back quotes.

Only the conditional commands (DO, IF, IFF, and FOR) accept trailing command group arguments.
OK. I was expecting it to work like DO.
I don't **need** a command group. I only wanted the redirection/pipe to work correctly. That can be done by escaping the redirection/pipe character.