Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Timeout during Registration

Feb
Hello, I have been running TCMD12 for quite some time on my computer at work. Since the admins made the last major update, I noticed that it fell back to status "trial version". Now when I try to re-register, I enter my User Name and the Take Command Key, but the only thing that I get after pressing OK is a 20 seconds wait, and then a pop-up: Registration Error [10060] Connection timed out Is there anything I can do from my side, or do I need to ask our admins to do something? If the latter, it sure would be helpful to know what they need to change/enable/allow. Thanks for all pointers Ulrich

Hello, I have been running TCMD12 for quite some time on my computer at work. Since the admins made the last major update, I noticed that it fell back to status "trial version". Now when I try to re-register, I enter my User Name and the Take Command Key, but the only thing that I get after pressing OK is a 20 seconds wait, and then a pop-up: Registration Error [10060] Connection timed out

If you've updated to 12.11 from 12.0, you need to use the 12.1 key we sent to all the registered 12.0 users.

If you're using a 12.1 key and it's timing out, you probably have an HTTP proxy server that is blocking TCMD from reaching the registration server. If you have a username/password for the proxy, you can go to OPTION / Internet and enter your info. Then try the registration again.

If you didn't get your 12.1 key, let me know and I'll resend it.

If you've updated to 12.11 from 12.0, you need to use the 12.1 key we sent to all the registered 12.0 users.

If you're using a 12.1 key and it's timing out, you probably have an HTTP proxy server that is blocking TCMD from reaching the registration server. If you have a username/password for the proxy, you can go to OPTION / Internet and enter your info. Then try the registration again.

I forgot all about the new key. I tried it now, it does not change anything, still get a timeout.

Also I can not go to OPTION / Internet, because now the 30 days are expired, and I can choose between "Buy now" (gets me the web page), "Register" (gives a timeout), or "Exit" (which unsurprisingly exits).

On top of that, I have never needed a username/password for our proxy, so I would not know what to enter.

Well, it looks like I have to talk to our proxy admins.

Thanks anyway, at least now I know where the problem is.

Ulrich

> I forgot all about the new key. I tried it now, it does not change
anything, still

> get a timeout.
>
> Also I can not go to OPTION / Internet, because now the 30 days are
expired,

> and I can choose between "Buy now" (gets me the web page), "Register"
> (gives a timeout), or "Exit" (which unsurprisingly exits).
>
> On top of that, I have never needed a username/password for our proxy, so
> I would not know what to enter.
>
> Well, it looks like I have to talk to our proxy admins.

Let me know if your admins can't get you configured, and I'll send you a
manual key that doesn't need an HTTP connection. (The manual key isn't
normally preferred because you cannot autoupdate, and you'll need to get a
new key for every new TCMD build.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

Let me know if your admins can't get you configured, and I'll send you a
manual key that doesn't need an HTTP connection. (The manual key isn't
normally preferred because you cannot autoupdate, and you'll need to get a
new key for every new TCMD build.)

Well, it looks like this is exactly what I need. I was informed that they will not remove the block, it is not a bug, it is a feature.

Thanks

Ulrich

Hi,

I finally convinced my boss to buy 5 licenses for TC :-)

I received the key today, but at the first try the registration did not work (timeout). So I assume it's the proxy.
What address should the proxy-admins un-block to get the registration process work (http://....)?
Is the connection required only for the first time or will the key be checked at every TC-start?

thanks in advance
frank

Thank you for the quick reply, Rex.

I will beg my colleagues to un-block the url permanently.
Because as far as I read in the forum, the key is checked again at every update.

frank

> I am having similar issues. I get a timeout when I try to register TCMD.
>
> Could you send me an emailkey too?

The best approach is to enter the proxy info in TCC / OPTION / Internet. If
you can't do that, send your registered name & activation key info to
[email protected] and we'll email you a manual key. (The manual key cannot
autoupdate, so you'll need to get a new key for every version.)

Rex Conn
JP Software

hello again,

I succeeded in registering today.
But I still have a question:
The registration is stored under hkey_current_user, not under hkey_local_machine as I expected.
This could be a problem for us, because we are used to login with our "natural" accounts and start an additional tc-session with "run as administrator".
Then it says something about "evaluation period"...

I succeeded in registering today.
But I still have a question:
The registration is stored under hkey_current_user, not under hkey_local_machine as I expected.

Windows 7, Vista, and 2008 don't allow apps to write to HKLM unless they are started elevated, which means that apps and installers are effectively barred from HKLM and must use HKCU.

Then it says something about "evaluation period"...

I don't know what you're referring to here.

Windows 7, Vista, and 2008 don't allow apps to write to HKLM unless they are started elevated, which means that apps and installers are effectively barred from HKLM and must use HKCU.

Sorry, I didn't consider UAC ;-)

I don't know what you're referring to here.

when I start TC under my normal account, it says it is registered.
But if I start an additional TC with "run as administrator" it says

Code:
TCC  12.11.73   Windows 2008R2 [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright 2011  Rex Conn & JP Software Inc.  All Rights Reserved
Your evaluation period expires in 30 days.
You can buy Take Command at http://jpsoft.com

I ordered 5 licenses but if I have to register on each pc twice, it will eat up my licenses ;-)
Sorry for my clumsy english.

Frank

ok. Thank you.

Frank