Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Things from the full TCC that I'd like to see in TCC/LE.

Nov
So last weekend I had to troubleshoot some relative's computer, clean it up a bit and back up some of his data (lying around in various disks, pendrives and cards). I used several utilities that I keep on my pringao pendrive, including a copy of the TCC/LE installer.

My job would have been easier if *some* commands (etc.), available only on the full TCC, existed in TCC/LE as well. In order of importance:

- TAIL command (please Rex, please please please...).
- %_ready variable.
- HEAD function.
- %@shfolder function (I didn't actually need it this time, but it's usefulness is pretty obvious).

So, Rex, care to throw TCC/LE users a bone? Or four? We'll happily wag our tails, if you know what I mean... ;)

I'd happily suggest this in the feedback forum... but I have no votes left. :(

It'd probably happen faster if you could explain Rex's economic incentive for copying features from the paid product into the gratis one....

Note that HEAD and TAIL are basically ports of Unix utilities, and there are plenty of other open-source ports available out there.

- TAIL command (please Rex, please please please...).
Don't know if this is of any help to you...
Skip first 10 lines of "file"
TCC:
Code:
TAIL /N+10 /N 99999 "file"
TCC/LE:
Code:
FFIND /+10 /K /V /M /E"^.?" "file"
Output contents of "file" from line 11 to EOF for files with <= 99999 lines

Note that HEAD and TAIL are basically ports of Unix utilities, and there are plenty of other open-source ports available out there.
I agree. head, tail, cut, fold, fmt, sort, nl, od, join, and a bagfull of text-manipulation treasures are available in the GNU coreutils archive:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

Go for the binaries ZIP file, extract the tools you'll likely use, and delete the others.

If you want only a single file to do many of the things not in TCC/LE, you might try Swiss File Knife:
http://stahlworks.com/dev/swiss-file-knife.html

HTH.

There's also UnxUtils, which I prefer over Gnu2Win ports, as they are portable single .exe files. They haven't been updated in years though.

But I think I may use busybox with aliases instead now.