Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tcmd versus tcc in Windows 10

I am running tcc.exe and tcmd.exe files dated 2011-07-16. I have a shortcut to tcmd.exe that used to work, but now produces a screen with an error message: The handle is invalid: "Attach console". Windows troubleshooting does no good. I've just found that tcc.exe (or a shortcut to it) works fine.

Any explanation or suggestions?

This is an internal Windows error (Windows can't find the handle for the console it just created.) It's usually a timing issue; if Windows has a little more time it can usually figure out that it started the console & get its handle. Sometimes it only happens occasionally, and restarting TCMD will work.

More recent versions of TCMD have a workaround for this. If you're running an older version then you might need to add a wait (like creating some tab windows to open at startup), or to tell TCMD not to close if there are no active windows.

This is an internal Windows error (Windows can't find the handle for the console it just created.) It's usually a timing issue; if Windows has a little more time it can usually figure out that it started the console & get its handle. Sometimes it only happens occasionally, and restarting TCMD will work.

More recent versions of TCMD have a workaround for this. If you're running an older version then you might need to add a wait (like creating some tab windows to open at startup), or to tell TCMD not to close if there are no active windows.
--------------

Thanks very much; that sounds right. I kept trying the shortcut without waiting and behold, no dice :)

By the way, impressed that you're on the forum. I remember your support in the early 90s.