Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCMD background color confusion

Sep
I'm running Take Command 25.00.30 at home and at work. On my home machine, no issues. On my work machine, an oddity I can't figure out.

I have a set of 4 tabs that get created on startup. Each is just a simple TCC instance. On my home machine, for these 4 tabs, the color is white (or close to it) on black background, as I prefer. On my work machine, the background is definitely not black - much closer to a dark gray. Detaching makes no difference - still gray.

To confuse things further, I have a "TCC" toolbar button:

TCC.jpg

Tabs opened with this button exhibit the same behavior (gray). However, if I click the new tab placeholder to the right of the open tabs in the tab bar, that opens a tab with a black background.

I'm stumped.

Hopefully the difference is visible on this forum, but here's a comparison between a TCC instance opened with the toolbar button referenced above (dark gray) and opened with the new tab button (black). Hmm... it's barely visible. Much more obvious in person.

Dark Gray:
tcc-gray.png

Black:
tcc-black.png

And the color is off even when you detach the tab?

Possibly the console color has been redefined, and Take Command is picking up on that. Try this: Detach the tab, open the control menu and select Properties, then choose the color tab. Select the first color in the horizontal strip, and set Red, Green, and Blue to zero. Click OK and close everything.

Oddly enough, on the system I'm using now (Windows 10 build 1809), the default console colors are not the traditional EGA values. Black is #0C0C0C. This must be some strange new meaning of the word "black" which I have never before encountered.)

I can't tell the difference visually, but in the images that gentzel posted, the first has background #0C0C0C and the second has #000000. Charles, when you monkey with the console's advanced/legacy setting, Windows monkeys with the color schemes (in HKCU\Console and HKCU\Console\<current>. Have a look at them and see if they're what you want.

Charles, when you monkey with the console's advanced/legacy setting, Windows monkeys with the color schemes (in HKCU\Console and HKCU\Console\<current>. Have a look at them and see if they're what you want.

Here, legacy vs. advanced doesn't seem to affect the palette settings. But this is an older build of Windows; you may be seeing a feature introduced in newer builds.

Gentzel, what is "COMSPEC" set to (TCMD\Options\Tabs)? If you have a subkey of HKCU\Console\<...> for TCC, see if the colors there match the colors in the parent key (HKCU\Console). TCMD may be using two mechanisms to start TCC and those mechanisms may use different registry keys to get the colors.

Great advice guys, much thanks!

So indeed, HKCU\Console\ColorTable00 was set to c0c0c and HKCU\Console\TCC\ColorTable00 was set to 0. So apparently using the toolbar button was picking up the former while the new tab button was picking up the latter.

Changing HKCU\Console\ColorTable00 to 0 fixes things.