Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC not recognize maped drive

Dec
Hi,
I have TCC 17.00.77 (oldest version:) ) and i try to create directory in a network drive z for example.
I got this error:
[C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCMD17]Z:
TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the drive specified.
"Z:"
When i open CMD its work manualy but not as a batch script and in tcc its even not recognize the network drive by also manually and in script.
I'm new in TCC and i'll be happy to know what can be the solution for this issue
Thanks
Chen

Thanks a lot!
Now UNC path worked.
my problem now is that tcc not recognized Mapd drive like Z: while cmd (typed net use) see the drive?

How are you mapping the drive? How do you know that it is mapped? What does NET USE report? Vince's question is cogent.

TCC does reliably work with mapped drives, in my experience. However, TCC will not automatically map them for you -- as CMD.EXE occasionally will.

Hi Charles,
I start by saying that my TCC version is a bit old (ver' 17.00), and i mapped a network drive by explorer (gui method..).
So now i can see the network drive in the window explorer and by command net use in cmd as i said.
i restart the OS (windows 2012 r2) to maybe restart TCC but it not helped.

Here is the output of the command in TCC when i typed NET USE
[C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCMD17]net use
New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

How do you suggest me to maped what already mapd and be seeing by cmd?

Sounds like you're running TCC elevated, but CMD is not. For whatever reason, when UAC is enabled, Windows does not make the drives/connections established in unelevated processes (such as explorer) available to elevated ones. They need to be re-established, such as in AnrDaemon's net use "\\remote\IPC$".

NET.EXE is a stand-alone executable program. NET USE should work exactly the same when run from CMD or TCC. What does NET USE say when you run it from CMD?

Sounds like you're running TCC elevated, but CMD is not. For whatever reason, when UAC is enabled, Windows does not make the drives/connections established in unelevated processes (such as explorer) available to elevated ones. They need to be re-established, such as in AnrDaemon's net use "\\remote\IPC$".
Good one TEA-Time! If that's the problem, perhaps this registry entry will fix it permanently.

Code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Value: EnableLinkedConnections
        Data:  1 (0x00000001)

Sounds like you're running TCC elevated, but CMD is not. For whatever reason, when UAC is enabled, Windows does not make the drives/connections established in unelevated processes (such as explorer) available to elevated ones.
Good catch, TEA-Time!

Thanks guys. Hopefully that's Chen's issue. I normally have UAC disabled to avoid exactly those types of issues, but I have it enabled on my computer at work so it doesn't behave any differently than the users I support, so the scenario sounded familiar. Otherwise I probably never would have known.

Thanks for the registry setting, Vince! For some reason I never thought to look for a policy/registry setting for that annoyance. :-/ I'll try it tomorrow at work.

Thanks for the registry setting, Vince! For some reason I never thought to look for a policy/registry setting for that annoyance. :-/ I'll try it tomorrow at work.
Did you Google it? I think it's right to the point. I did it so long ago that I forgot about it and I only rediscovered it after some Googling. I can't remember mapping a drive unelevated and not being able to see it elevated.

Yup, I did Google it. It should be perfect. I also saw that apparently an update stopped the setting from affecting DFS drive mappings (a type of mapping I've never used) until it was fixed like 6 months later. Heh

Hi,
First off all, thanks so much for your help i realy apriciate it .
I did what Vefatica suggets about modify the registry and it's worked like a magic :) Thanks!
I'm not so familiare with TCC, about running TCC elevated, what does it mean?
We use tcc in backgroung (run scripts by CI tools/ jenkins so i would like to know (since i dont know what is non/elevated
mode) what would be the best way to use TCC for this cause.
and if i need to work in a specific mode, how do i changed it permanently..for the good ;)
Cheers
Chen

Last edited:
"Elevated" means an application is running with administrator access enabled.
In modern Windows (Vista+), being in Administrators group does not automatically equals having administration access to the system.
You have to explicitly elevate the program.

For comparison:
Code:
$ id -G
197121 197611 197610 545 4 66049 11 15 113 4095 66048 262154 401408

# id -G
197121 114 197611 197610 544 545 4 66049 11 15 113 4095 66048 262154 405504

Particularly, the group 114 (Local account, member of Administrators group) and 544 (the local Administrators group itself) only present in elevated token.

I would discourage from altering local policy like suggested. Instead, make up your mind and stick to one or another mode of operation.

HI,

Thanks AnrDeamon for answer, im using a window server and i understand what you mean.

But stil not no how to open tcc by a user or Admin (Admin=unelevated OR no AdminUser=elevated).

Cheers
Chen

If you need elevated shell often, you can create a shortcut and set it to start with elevated privileges.
Don't make a mistake, though, the option you need is located on the Shortcut tab (Advanced… - Run as administrator).