Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD TCC LE pipe fails

Apr
I've been running into this problem since I upgraded from 4nt v3.0.0B to to TCC LE v13.05.69

When piping output I've found that doing two or more pipes in-line gives a bogus error, see below.

[C:\Users\ron]ver

TCC LE 13.05.69 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
[C:\Users\ron]dir | head -3

Volume in drive C is OS Serial number is 0e81:40ab
Directory of C:\Users\ron\*

[C:\Users\ron]dir | wc -l

[C:\Users\ron]dir | head -3 | wc -l
TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
"C:\Apps\utils\TCC.EXE"

As you can see, individually I can pipe the output to 'head' or 'wc' (both are cygwin utilities), but if I try to pipe the output more than once, it fails with a bogus error.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

I have no problem with multiple pipes here; but I'm not using the CygWin utilities. Can you replicate your issue using ye olde FIND filter?

Code:
dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"

You should probably also post your TCSTART.BTM, if you have one.

Thanks for the quick response.. same problem with 'find'. Just to be sure I confirmed it was the windows find and not some cygwin utility.

Code:
[C:\Users\ron]which find
find is an external : C:\Windows\system32\find.exe

[C:\Users\ron]dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"

I don't have a TCSTART.BTM but you got me thinking that maybe there is some nuance about the way I have TCC LE installed that is breaking the pipe. I have all the TCC LE binaries (exe, dlls, etc) copied into a utility folder, which I deploy directly onto computers I am administering without having to do a full blown TCC LE from the installer. I copy all the files off of a memory stick into c:\apps\utils, and add that folder directly to the system path. I wonder if the double-pipe is dependent on registry setting I do not have since I did not do a real install of TCC.

I'm going to re-test on a clean machine with properly installed copy of TCC LE and see if the problem goes away. Unless you happen to have set of no-install-needed "run from a memory stick" instructions I should be looking at?

Thanks

Ron

I have no problem with multiple pipes here; but I'm not using the CygWin utilities. Can you replicate your issue using ye olde FIND filter?

Code:
dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"

You should probably also post your TCSTART.BTM, if you have one.

Confirmed that if I install TCC LE properly, the pipe|pipe works as expected. Dumping tcc.exe and *.dll from c:\program files(x86)\jpsoft\tccle13 into a utility folder on another PC must be the issue. I was getting away with it until now.

Thanks for the quick response.. same problem with 'find'. Just to be sure I confirmed it was the windows find and not some cygwin utility.

Code:
[C:\Users\ron]which find
find is an external : C:\Windows\system32\find.exe

[C:\Users\ron]dir | find "bytes" | find "bytes"

I don't have a TCSTART.BTM but you got me thinking that maybe there is some nuance about the way I have TCC LE installed that is breaking the pipe. I have all the TCC LE binaries (exe, dlls, etc) copied into a utility folder, which I deploy directly onto computers I am administering without having to do a full blown TCC LE from the installer. I copy all the files off of a memory stick into c:\apps\utils, and add that folder directly to the system path. I wonder if the double-pipe is dependent on registry setting I do not have since I did not do a real install of TCC.

I'm going to re-test on a clean machine with properly installed copy of TCC LE and see if the problem goes away. Unless you happen to have set of no-install-needed "run from a memory stick" instructions I should be looking at?

Thanks

Ron

I still can't reproduce this, even running the current TCC/LE from a flash stick on a brand-new, virgin reimaged PC. You might try updating to the current version 13.06.75....

Confirmed that if I install TCC LE properly, the pipe|pipe works as expected. Dumping tcc.exe and *.dll from c:\program files(x86)\jpsoft\tccle13 into a utility folder on another PC must be the issue. I was getting away with it until now.

Simply copying files is definitely not going to work; there are several (critical) things the installer is doing besides copying files.

You should also ensure that your system COMSPEC is set correctly.

Simply copying files is definitely not going to work; there are several (critical) things the installer is doing besides copying files.

You should also ensure that your system COMSPEC is set correctly.
What's "correct" for COMSPEC? I leave it set to the default (cmd.exe) relying on the fact that each TCC sets it to itself. I haven't run into any problems.