Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TCC.exe 12.0 & 12.1 and Colors

Sep
TCC.exe version 12.0 and 12.10 ignore any custom console colors set via a Windows shortcut.

Is this a bug by design?

I hope it's the former, because I'd be disappointed if you no longer support the standard Windows methods for setting console dimensions, fonts sizes and colors using shortcuts (.lnk files).

I'm running 12.10 side by side with 11.00.52, and only v12 ignores/overrides the palette in the shortcut.

It's a bug to me. We just upgraded from V9 to V12, and I cannot coerce TCC into using the console colors I want. It seems to prefer white on black, regardless of how I set console defaults. Way too much contrast, and I get chromatic effects with the white text.

What's worse is that if I manually set the color palette for the current TCC window, it really enjoys going back to white on black. All I have to do is "shell out"
TCC /c SomeCommand<SOMECOMMAND>
and Poof! back to white on black.

Help and other posts talk about the "Console Palette" (OPTION command, Windows tab), but that button is always disabled for me, even though we have the full TCC, not TCC/LE.

This problem is enough of a reason for me to go back to an earlier version.

Help and other posts talk about the "Console Palette" (OPTION command, Windows tab), but that button is always disabled for me, even though we have the full TCC, not TCC/LE.

What version of Windows? AFAIK, that button is only for Vista and later.

TCC.exe version 12.0 and 12.10 ignore any custom console colors set via a Windows shortcut.

Is this a bug by design?

I hope it's the former, because I'd be disappointed if you no longer support the standard Windows methods for setting console dimensions, fonts sizes and colors using shortcuts (.lnk files).

There is no "standard Windows method" for setting custom console colors; it's (completely) different in every version of Windows.

What version of Windows are you using?

It's a bug to me. We just upgraded from V9 to V12, and I cannot coerce TCC into using the console colors I want. It seems to prefer white on black, regardless of how I set console defaults. Way too much contrast, and I get chromatic effects with the white text.

Not reproducible here.

Check your OPTION / Windows color settings -- if you want to set colors outside of TCC, all the colors should be set to "Default", and you should uncheck "ANSI Colors".

Or, you could just set the colors you want in that dialog.

Same here, and I also also have that button disabled.

TCC 12.10.59 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC Build 59 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

> There is no "standard Windows method" for setting custom console colors; it's (completely) different in every version of Windows.

From a user point of view, the properties dialog for console apps is pretty much unchanged since Windows 3. You get 16 colors corresponding to the 16 colors available on DOS, and you can change the RGB values for each color.

> What version of Windows are you using?

I'm using this version:

TCC 12.10.59 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC Build 59 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

I've confirmed I still lose any console color settings even with no %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\JPSoft\TCMD.INI, and also that the 'Console Palette' is still disabled.

I don't know where else to look for any errant settings on my PC; you seem to keep the registry clean. I'll try another PC tomorrow.

I've confirmed I still lose any console color settings even with no %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\JPSoft\TCMD.INI, and also that the 'Console Palette' is still disabled.

I can guarantee that if you don't have any TCMD.INI, then TCC will *not* change any default colors. (You should double-check that TCC isn't finding another TCMD.INI, like in its installation directory, and you should still run OPTION and see what values are set in the Windows tab.)

If you're running TCC in a TCMD tab window, be aware that TCMD can also set console colors if they haven't been set by TCC or a custom console palette.

FWIW, I'm zeroing in on this problem.

We have been installing to the default directory (C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12x64). We also typically set %COMSPEC% to tcc.exe in that directory. But we have problems with programs not liking a space in the path. Our solution was to create a symbolic link (or junction point):
mklink /d C:\TC C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12x64
Then we set %COMPSPEC to C:\TC\tcc.exe.

Get this: If I launch TCC from a shortcut "through" the symlink (C:\TC\tcc.exe), I have the color problems. If I launch from a shortcut directly to the target path (C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12x64\tcc.exe), then I don't have the problem.

To solve this (or at least work around it), I've reinstalled TC12 to a path that has no space in it, and eliminated the symlink. All seems to be well with that configuration.

Clarification: I no longer see the problem with preferring/reverting to white on black, but I cannot seem to customize the RGB values for the colors. I can live with that. Black on white (light gray) is close enough.