Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fixed TCC 17 describe redirection

Oct
Input redirection for DESCRIBE is no longer working correctly in TCC 17. Here's a line that I use in numerous BTM and REXX scripts:

*DESCRIBE TargetFile <TmpFile

If TargetFile already has a description, that command in TCC 17 appends the redirected description to the existing one.

In all previous versions of TCC the existing description would be replaced. By previous versions I mean from TCC 16 back to the early days of Windows XP.

Update: I just checked my archives and the earliest version of my cpdesc script that I still have was in 1999.

Last edited:
Why do I use redirection for DESCRIBE? Because that's the only reliable way to get quotes into a description, such as:

"Sinkholes: Buried Alive" {PBS:Nova}

By writing the description to a temporary file, virtually any character can be included in a description -- just like when manually entering a description at DESCRIBE's prompt.

I tried the SafeChars plug in, but it only worked sometimes and not reliably.

I have re-installed Take Command 16. Version 17 also broke a few other scripts. For instance it seems to be intolerant of two sets of double quotes surrounding a file name, such as ""file one"". Previous versions didn't care.