Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TC DIR command has trouble on my SSD

May
I built a new PC several months ago. I'm using an SSD as my C: drive, and several HDDs as D:, etc. I moved TC v11 over from my old PC.

When I search for a file globally, starting at the root directory (e.g., DIR /S/F *SNAG*), this works fine on my HDDs. But, when run on the SSD, it terminates abnormally. A window pops up: "TCC has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." It finally gives me the option to close the TC window.

Okay, I thought, I'll upgrade to v14. So I did. Now, when I try that command against the SSD, I no longer get the error window. Instead, the TC window just vanishes.

The command works fine from a directory other than root. And it does successfully find all the files named *snag* (or whatever other name I used). It's just that, when it finishes, it disappears.

I have no idea what is happening. Is there anything I can do to help diagnose this problem?

Thanks! That fixed it. I'd like to learn more about why they set up the junctions they did. When I do the same DIR command using a CMD window, it doesn't bomb, but gives me a lot of messages like this:

The directory name C:\Windows.old\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer is too long.

Junctions that do that just don't make sense to me. But then, I'm not a Windows developer.