Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Take Command issues at high resolution

I'm trying to use Take Command v18.00.29 x64 on my laptop running Windows 10 and am finding it problematic to use on my machine either due to the screen's high resolution (3200x1800), the version of Windows, or both.

The window size is incorrectly detected as 68x16 and does not change when the window is resized. The icons in the Home, View, Tools, Windows, Options and Help menu are disproportionately small. The icons in the Edit and Tabs menus are scaled up and look jagged as a result.

A fix for these problems would be greatly appreciated. I'm a long-time user of Take Command (I go back to 4DOS days) and would love to be able to use my favorite shell on my laptop.

I'm trying to use Take Command v18.00.29 x64 on my laptop running Windows 10 and am finding it problematic to use on my machine either due to the screen's high resolution (3200x1800), the version of Windows, or both.

The window size is incorrectly detected as 68x16 and does not change when the window is resized.

That's a Windows issue, not TCMD -- Windows determines the maximum size of a console window based on the font size. Open a console window (TCC or CMD) and change the default font size to something smaller, then restart TCMD and you'll be able to create larger tab sizes.

The icons in the Home, View, Tools, Windows, Options and Help menu are disproportionately small. The icons in the Edit and Tabs menus are scaled up and look jagged as a result.

My desktop display is 4K and my laptop is 2880 x 1800 and I am not seeing those issues. The larger icons in TCMD are 32x32 and the smaller ones are 16x16; how they're drawn is up to your video driver and your display settings. Did you change the % size of your text & apps? Windows allows you to change the text size only if you don't want Windows to scale everything else (like the icons).

The alternative is for me to resize everything for 4K displays, which will make everybody running a 1920x1080 display (currently about 80% of the TCMD users) very unhappy.

Thanks for the fast reply and thanks again for your outstanding software.

I started TCC, selected a smaller font, and then restarted TCMD but still only a fraction of the window is utilized as you can see in the attachment. TCC does utilize the entirety of the window. And that's a workable solution for me; I'm fine with running TCC outside of TCMD.

If you're not seeing the issues I am on a 4K monitor then the sizing issue does sound like an artifact of Windows 10 and/or my display adapter.

I understand about the icon sizes and covering the majority of your user base. I didn't mean to imply the application should be customized for a display of my size at the expense of others' usability. Would you consider an enhancement in a future release to support more than two icon sizes, or even incorporate skinning to allow use of a larger/alternate icon set in TCMD?

I'll experiment with scaling with Windows, though I'm curious about how other applications' toolbars/dialogs/etc. will render with scaling in effect.

Attachments

• TC_on_hi_res.png
    TC_on_hi_res.png
    2 MB · Views: 322
I have experienced exactly the same issue with tcmd version 19.10.51 x64 on my windows 10. My screen resolution is 3200x1800. I think it is a bug in tcmd, and not a Windows issue. Running tcc.exe works nicely, running tcmd.exe gives me a window where the output is capped before the last visible line in the command window, just as in the screenshot posted by StreetSamurai.

The reason I post is that I discovered a strange work-around last night, which fixes the problem on my setup:

1. open tcmd.
2. lock Windows (<windows> + L)
3. unlock Windows by logging in
4. resize the tcmd window (doesn't matter how, I use to grab the window's right edge and move it slightly. The important thing seems to be that the window gets some kind refresh.)

And then it works... I am posting here in case this makes sense to anyone at the tcmd team. It does seem like a bug in tcmd.

Last edited:
i also have same problem !
i was love Take Command so much but in my new laptop with hight res ( 3k)
Take Command not display full text in screen , just display in 30% area :(

Default window command prompt display very ok,
Should i uninstall and come back to window Command prompt :(

Attachments

• 111d.png
    111d.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 299
I have experienced exactly the same issue with tcmd version 19.10.51 x64 on my windows 10. My screen resolution is 3200x1800. I think it is a bug in tcmd, and not a Windows issue. Running tcc.exe works nicely, running tcmd.exe gives me a window where the output is capped before the last visible line in the command window, just as in the screenshot posted by StreetSamurai.

The reason I post is that I discovered a strange work-around last night, which fixes the problem on my setup:

1. open tcmd.
2. lock Windows (<windows> + L)
3. unlock Windows by logging in
4. resize the tcmd window (doesn't matter how, I use to grab the window's right edge and move it slightly. The important thing seems to be that the window gets some kind refresh.)

And then it works... I am posting here in case this makes sense to anyone at the tcmd team. It does seem like a bug in tcmd.
I also try with you advice and in works !
But it just work on a session of start window, when you shutdown or restart window , all bad come back :(

You need to save the font change for all sessions (or instances of the console), not just the current one.
What exactly do you mean by this? I don't follow. If you read steps 1.-4. in my post above, you will see that there is nothing there about changing any font sizes.

After updating to Windows 10 I get the same problem. If I open TCMD and run:
do c=1 to 60 (echo c=%c)

my TCMD window looks like the attached screenshot Loop1.png. After doing the steps 1. to 4. posted by Sverre and running the do-loop again, my TCMD window looks like Loop2.png. So TCMD will display more lines in this case, but not all.

I do not want to change any font or font size.

Attachments

• Loop1.png
    Loop1.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Loop2.png
    Loop2.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 298
As rconn wrote in his first reply, changing the cmd default font size does provide a workaround for the problem (see Loop3.png which was created after changing the default font size to 6). However, now some of my non-TCMD console windows need manual font size adjustments every time I use them (see "Developer Command Prompt for VS2015.png").

Attachments

• Loop3.png
    Loop3.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 294
  • Developer Command Prompt for VS2015.png
    Developer Command Prompt for VS2015.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 291