Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tabbed toolbar hidden ... not remembered!

May
I have to hide it every time I start TCMD. Can I get TCMD to start without the tabbed toolbar?

When I go to View and uncheck "Tabbed Toolbar" the toolbar disappears. Are you saying that TCMD is not (can not be) informed of my action, remember that I did it and cause it to happen at start-up?

That's what I said.

BTW, it's behaved this way for at least the last 7 versions.
I know. And I complained about it a version or two ago. I'm really surprised that "View\Tabbed Toolbar" behaves so differently from "View\Command Input", "View\Folders & List Views", "View\Status Bar", and "View\Minimize Ribbon". Those last four **are** remembered.

And yet you never posted anything in Feedback. Do you have a need to define a toolbar and then not see/use it? (If so, then use TCTOOLBAR to temporarily populate the toolbar when you do want to see it.)

It's a different control than the others, and behaves differently. That is hardly surprising coming from Microsoft.

It makes a lot of sense to me to have a toolbar that isn't used often and that one generally does not want to see.

It makes a lot of sense to me to have a toolbar that isn't used often and that one generally does not want to see.

It doesn't to me. If it does to you, you could always have an alternate TCMD.INI with the toolbar defined & visible. (And since you don't use TCMD, when would you actually want to see your toolbar?)

This apparently hasn't been of interest to anybody else, as nobody has suggested it in Feedback. If you think that other users would want it, go ahead and add it to Feedback. If enough people vote for it, I'll spend a few weeks writing a custom control to replace the Microsoft one. (Of course, that means a lot of other requested features *won't* be implemented, as I do not have an infinite amount of development time.)

At this point, I'm unconvinced that 200 hours of development time is an appropriate response to a user (who doesn't use TCMD) not wanting to spend 1-2 seconds enabling or disabling the toolbar.

I noticed that you can put items on the Quick Access toolbar that would hide the other four things which are capable of being hidden (it'd be nice if they had icons). Could you easily do that for the tabbed toolbar?

Could you not show the tabbed toolbar at start-up if you knew that's what the user wanted, say, because of a (manually entered) INI option likethe following?
Code:
[Toolbar1]
StartHidden=Yes

Could you not show the tabbed toolbar at start-up if you knew that's what the user wanted, say, because of a (manually entered) INI option likethe following?
Code:
[Toolbar1]
StartHidden=Yes

There is zero chance of any new features being added to v17 at this time. If you want to suggest a new feature for a future version, submit it to the Feedback forum.