Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tab completion with directory commands

Nov
When I type CD <tab>
I get filenames as well as directories. Is there any way to limit TCC to be smart about tab completion in this case?

At the TCC prompt, type OPTIONS to bring up the options dialog.

Go to the Command Line tab and look in the Filename Completion frame.

In the Options text box, enter something like this:

Code:
cd md rd:DIRS;

This will cause the cd, md, and rd commands to only complete directories.

I read the topic above, and my problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get my folders to appear in the unsorted order I want. I am looking at a network share to which I have mapped a drive, u:. When I enter dir u: /o:u, it always ends up with "VESTA Map" before VESTA. (I want VESTA completed first.) I've tried creating a new folder that lists after VESTA and then moving all of the contents of "VESTA Map" into that new folder, then deleting "VESTA Map" and finally renaming the new folder to "VESTA Map", and all of a sudden, dir u: /o:u lists "VESTA Map" first again.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some way to force its completion to go in alphabetical order (since a regular dir lists VESTA first)?

Filename completion options being discussed in this thread have nothing to do with DIR sort order.

That being said, I too notice that *dir /o:u still seems to sort everything alphabetically on my system. Not sure if that's a functional change in the operating system APIs (I'm running on Windows 7) or what.

Filename completion options being discussed in this thread have nothing to do with DIR sort order.

That being said, I too notice that *dir /o:u still seems to sort everything alphabetically on my system. Not sure if that's a functional change in the operating system APIs (I'm running on Windows 7) or what.

NTFS always keeps files in alphabetical order.

I read the topic above, and my problem is that no matter what I do, I can't get my folders to appear in the unsorted order I want. I am looking at a network share to which I have mapped a drive, u:. When I enter dir u: /o:u, it always ends up with "VESTA Map" before VESTA. (I want VESTA completed first.) I've tried creating a new folder that lists after VESTA and then moving all of the contents of "VESTA Map" into that new folder, then deleting "VESTA Map" and finally renaming the new folder to "VESTA Map", and all of a sudden, dir u: /o:u lists "VESTA Map" first again.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some way to force its completion to go in alphabetical order (since a regular dir lists VESTA first)?

Filename / directory completion is always in the order the file system returns them (alphabetic on an NTFS drives; other file systems will vary). There is no sorting option.

NTFS always keeps files in alphabetical order.
Ah. Personally I'm glad for this, and it probably means I no longer have to put DIRCMD=/O to get default sorting in cmd.exe any more! I had been doing that since MS-DOS 6...thru Windows 9x..etc.

Personally I don't understand why someone would want it unsorted.

Regarding Mickey's problem, I created a "VESTA" and "VESTA Map" folder and DIR showed them in the order I would expect: VESTA first.