Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Syntax error when redirecting eval

Jun
Would someone please explain why I get a syntax error when I try to redirect the output from an alias for "echo %@eval[%$]"?
Code:
C:\>alias bc
echo %@eval[%$]

C:\>bc 2+2

C:\>bc 2+2 > clip:
TCC: Syntax error "2+2 > clip:"

C:\>alias foo=`echo %$`

C:\>foo bar+2
bar+2

C:\>foo bar+2 > clip:

C:\>ver

TCC  14.03.59  Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]

C:\>

The > CLIP: is included in the alias arguments %$. Why? Because variable expansion (including aliases) is performed before redirection (so you can use a variable or expression as the filename or device name in a redirection.)

Your original alias will do what you expect if you call it like this:

Code:
( bc 2 + 2 ) > clip:

Would someone please explain why I get a syntax error when I try to redirect the output from an alias for "echo %@eval[%$]"?
Code:
C:\>alias bc
echo %@eval[%$]

C:\>bc 2+2

C:\>bc 2+2 > clip:
TCC: Syntax error "2+2 > clip:"

The problem is the way you've defined the alias. Using %$ means all of the parameters to the alias are placed inside the @eval brackets. If you press Ctrl-F to expand the aliases on the command line you'll see what's happening, the command line you end up with is

echo %@eval[2+2 > clip:]

and not

echo %@eval[2+2] > clip:

which is what you were hoping for. In this case command grouping will help:

d:\>bc 2+2

d:\>(bc 2+2) > clip:

d:\>echo %@clip[0]

Dan

So, the only way to avoid using parentheses is to use a btm? (I knew I could use parentheses on the command line.)

In principle, I suppose a function could parse out the redirection and put it in the desired place. But the thought of actually doing it in practice makes my head hurt.

Indded, AFAIK there is no alternative. Same as my nearly identical alias CALC for the same purpose (but I also use @COMMA to make the result more readable).

Note that for some commands, e.g., FOR and GLOBAL, you must also do the same if you want the whole output redirected into a single file, else each iteration is redirected either to its own separate file (if using a file in the CWD) , or it overwrites the single output file (assuming NoClobber=No), so only the last one's result remains... which is noted in their respective HELP pages.

Think of command groups as your friends, not as contortions...