Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Support for Ruby 1.9.3

May
The documentation says:
The Ruby language is not built into TCC, and must be obtained separately. The versions supported by TCC are Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 (free from www.ruby-lang.org ).

I have Ruby 1.9.3 Installed
ruby --version
ruby 1.9.3p125 (2012-02-16) [i386-mingw32]

but when I try this in Take Command
echo %@RUBY[p "hello"]
TCC: (Sys) Could not load Ruby dll (msvcrt-ruby18.dll)
p "hello"

in my ruby installations bin directory I have:
dir /f d:\ruby193\bin\msvcrt*.dll
D:\ruby193\bin\msvcrt-ruby191.dll

I'm running:
TCC 13.03.46 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC Build 46 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
Registered to Federico Romano - 1 System License

Am I missing something or is this not working?

TIA
- Federico

I REALLY hate it when developers change the names of their dlls for no reason ...

TCC is trying to load the Ruby dll like this:

if (( hRuby = LoadLibrary( _TEXT("msvcrt-ruby19.dll") )) == NULL ) {
if (( hRuby = LoadLibrary( _TEXT("msvcrt-ruby18.dll") )) == NULL ) {

Now it appears I'll have to add yet another LoadLibrary call for yet another meaningless name change. In the meantime, you can copy your msvcrt-ruby191.dll to msvcrt-ruby19.dll.

When I do that and execute %@RUBY[p "hello"], tcc crashes and disappears with no .gpf file, here's the event info from Windows

Faulting application name: tcc.exe, version: 13.0.3.46, time stamp: 0x4f4853d0
Faulting module name: tcc.exe, version: 13.0.3.46, time stamp: 0x4f4853d0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000327e
Faulting process id: 0x11618
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd1bfd38169787
Faulting application path: D:\JPSoft\version13\tcc.exe
Faulting module path: D:\JPSoft\version13\tcc.exe
Report Id: 9b00e83f-87f3-11e1-bc76-e4115b316f9e

as a workaround I'm using this in my script for now:

%@EXECSTR[ruby -e "p ENV['destinations'].split('/\s/').reverse.join(' ')"]

I REALLY hate it when developers change the names of their dlls for no reason ...

TCC is trying to load the Ruby dll like this:

if (( hRuby = LoadLibrary( _TEXT("msvcrt-ruby19.dll") )) == NULL ) {
if (( hRuby = LoadLibrary( _TEXT("msvcrt-ruby18.dll") )) == NULL ) {

Now it appears I'll have to add yet another LoadLibrary call for yet another meaningless name change. In the meantime, you can copy your msvcrt-ruby191.dll to msvcrt-ruby19.dll.

Here's one more for you python 3.2.2 has a dll called python3.dll not python.dll :-(

I installed Ruby 1.9.3 and spent a couple of hours debugging. The Ruby developers did a pretty good job of breaking Windows compatibility with embedded Ruby in the 1.9.3 release. In addition to changing the dll name, they removed some (essential) internal functions and renamed some others. (And didn't document any of the changes!)

At the least, this is going to require a lot of custom code for 1.9.3, and I don't know if it's going to be possible to get it to work at all. In the interim, you could use the versions that are documented to work with Take Command.

(For Python, I'm already looking for python31.dll, python27.dll, python26.dll, and python25.dll.)