Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Still problems understanding "foldermonitor"

Jun
Hi again,

Still having problem understanding "foldermonitor" amongst other:

1) When executing the bat file

foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" modified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`

I get the following response when checking "foldermonitor" status:

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12]foldermonitor
No folders/files are being monitored

but "Subtest.bat":
echo %inbox_directory
echo %inbox_file

still produces result:
[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12]echo C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes
echo Jan\Getting Started.pdf
Jan\Getting Started.pdf

2) Any other suggestion than "Call" to execute a series of commands on a "foldermonitor" trigger event? Goto/Gosub apperently do not work in a Command Group. It seems I need to save values of %_foldername and %_folderfile1 or otherwise they will be lost after executing the command in "foldermonitor". Also I have not found any way to split the command group `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`into several lines amongst other for easier readability.

Apologies for lenghty explanation - new to this

Kind regards and hoping for a solution

1) When executing the bat file

foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" modified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`

I get the following response when checking "foldermonitor" status:

No folders/files are being monitored

Not reproducible here. Is that the entire contents of your batch file? What happens if you put an empty FOLDERMONITOR command immediately following the first one?

What version & build are you running?

2) Any other suggestion than "Call" to execute a series of commands on a "foldermonitor" trigger event?

No, that's the only way to do it.

It seems I need to save values of %_foldername and %_folderfile1 or otherwise they will be lost after executing the command in "foldermonitor".

Correct. (Not lost, but they will have the value of the last changed file. Otherwise, if you have hundreds or thousands of changes, you would never know which file you're getting.)

Also I have not found any way to split the command group `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`into several lines amongst other for easier readability.

Use a batch file!

Hi and thanks for attending this matter,

What version & build are you running?
Upgraded to 12.10.67 - No change, same problem: "No folder or files being monitored"
I mostly get expected results, however ocassionally I get strange non consistent results e.g. multiple rows of "echo on" without modified directory and file being listed, older CALL files being listed...and a crash.

Not reproducible here. Is that the entire contents of your batch file? What happens if you put an empty FOLDERMONITOR command immediately following the first one?

Yes is entire batch file:
foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" foldermonitor modified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`

Subtest.bat:
echo %inbox_directory
echo %inbox_file

Additional FOLDERMONITOR command result is:

foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" foldermonitor m
odified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1
& Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`
Foldermonitor
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes foldermonitor modified created
(6/FOREVER) set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:
\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes foldermonitor modified created
(2/FOREVER) set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:
(0/FOREVER) set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:

Yes is entire batch file:
foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" foldermonitor modified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`

Why are you trying to nest a FOLDERMONITOR command inside another FOLDERMONITOR command? I can't think of any reason to do that, or any good that can come of it. (And you'll eventually exhaust TCC's stack memory and crash.)

Remove the embedded "foldermonitor" and try it again:

Major apologies - my bad. Was trying to figure out what you ment by adding another FOLDERMONITOR and by mistake copied you on a wrong version. It should have been the below (if I understood you correctly in "adding another Foldermonitor").

foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" modified create
d forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Use
rs\Gappe\Documents\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"`
Foldermonitor
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes modified created (0/FOREVER)
set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\D
ocuments\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat"
copy "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Getting Started.pdf" "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\
My Dropbox\Test_local\Inboxes\Jan"
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Getting Started.pdf => C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dr
opbox\Test_local\Inboxes\Jan\Getting Started.pdf
1 file copied
echo C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes
Jan\Getting Started.pdf
No folders/files are being monitored.
[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12]

Trying to reset "FOLDERMONITOR /C and then running bat file again creates the following result:

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12]foldermonitor /c
foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" modified create
d forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Use
Foldermonitor
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes modified created (1/FOREVER)
set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & Call "C:\Users\Gappe\D
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes modified created (0/FOREVER)

> Trying to reset "FOLDERMONITOR /C and then running bat file again (3rd
> time) creates the following result:

I don't know what you mean by this -- are you running that batch file
multiple times without doing a FOLDERMONITOR /C before each invocation?
(This would be a very, very bad idea -- FOLDERMONITOR will duly install a
hook for the same directory tree over and over again.)

I presume you haven't aliased FOLDERMONITOR to something else?

Try to break it down to something much simpler than your example -- monitor
one directory and have it do one thing (like an "echo %foldername
%folderfile), and see it that works for you.

Rex, your help is really appreciated.
The bat file is very simple, setting variables for the folder and file being changed and then echoing them.
Running a FOLDERMONITOR with only ECHO (as per your proposal) creates the same result, i.e. "No files/files being monitored".

To clarify my previous reply - here is what is what I did step by step:

1) Run the file (in IDE)
---------------------------------
Foldermonitor
copy "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Getting Started.pdf" "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\
My Dropbox\Test_local\Inboxes\Jan"
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Getting Started.pdf => C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dr
opbox\Test_local\Inboxes\Jan\Getting Started.pdf
1 file copied
echo C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes
Jan\Getting Started.pdf

2) Check which folders/files being monitored
--------------------------------------------------------
No folders/files are being monitored.

3) Reset FOLDERMONITOR (in spite of message above (2), stating no folder or files being monitored)
-------------------------------------------
[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD12]foldermonitor /c

4) Run bat file again (where it looks like two instances are inwoked)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foldermonitor
C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes modified created (1/FOREVER)
ocuments\TCC batfiles\Subtest.bat" <!-- / message -->

1) Run the file (in IDE)
Does it make any difference to your problems if you run all commands in the same TCC session?? My suspicion is that you are not running in the same context for both, and foldermonitor seems to be user specific, so if I issue a foldermonitor in a normal TCC, create a new elevated TCC (which in my case starts the new program as a different user with admin privileges) and issue the foldermonitor with no arguments then I see the same behaviour that you do.

Equally issuing a foldermonitor /c in the elevated prompt has no effect on the foldermonitor from the original prompt, and not unexpectedly any actions in the elevated prompt that affect the monitored folders are reflected in the requested actions in the original prompt.

Hi Steve and thank you! That explains - I tested and it seems to work the way you described. I was not aware of that (new to this).

While I have all these skilled peoples attention, can I also ask how to split the foldermonitor command on multiple lines (rather than CALL a separate batch file). I have tried several versions (parentheses, strong quotes etc) but do not seem to get the command in `strong quotes`(echo only example multiple commands):

foldermonitor /s "C:\Users\Gappe\Documents\My Dropbox\Test_local\inboxes" modified created forever `set inbox_directory=%_foldername & set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 & echo %inbox_directory & echo %inbox_file`

to be interpreted as one commmand for FOLDERMONITOR if splitting in mulitple line e.g.:

`set inbox_directory=%_foldername &
set inbox_file=%_folderfile1 &
echo %inbox_directory &
echo %inbox_file`